Friday, March 16, 2012

My Weekend Crush

Admit it, there was just always something extra special about Special Agent Dana Scully. It was her eternal skepticism, her always questioning scowl that made us believe – no, know – that she was different. And, of course, her intellect. My God, was Scully smart. She still stands as a singular female heroine in the pantheon of singular female heroines. She was entirely equal to her male counterpart. She never traded on her sex appeal, though she was undeniably sexy in an entirely cerebral way. She made men and women love her for her intellect and bravery, capability and rationality. And, yes, she made gay women love her because of that little something extra special.

News this week that her real-life portrayer Gillian Anderson revealed her past relationships with women was the “I knew it!”-moment heard around the lesboverse. If you saw gay ladies high fiving each other on the street, this is why. Because we’ve always felt a kinship with Scully, with Anderson. We’ve always just, well, believed. She was one of us. And now we’ve confirmed how operational our collective gaydars are on at least Anderson, we can go forth and make even more vivid fantasies about our very own Special Agent. Because believe me, the truth is out there. And that truth is stone cold gay. Happy weekend, all.

17 comments:

Lyn said...

I always knew it. I was 90% certain when I watched an interview with her back in the 90's and she played the pronoun game when asked a question about the people she dates. Well "they" would have to be... no he's or she's. Go Gillian! I had such a crush on her lol

Anonymous said...

I always liked her. I think I like her better, older and more mature.

I honestly don't give a rats A%% about her sexuality. Thats her business.

It's not like she's going to knock on my door with a six pack and an overnight bag. .. sigh

shade said...

*High five* Ms. Snarker. I knew it!!! She had me at 'obfuscate' :)

J9 said...

I nearly passed out when I read this, and then realized I completely blew my two chances at her...

Anonymous said...

Weekend crush? I've had a crush on Scully - and Gillian - for the better part of 20 years. ;)

Anonymous said...

Just makes that Scully-Starling fanfic that much better! Cheek

Harper said...

definitely had a jubilant "I KNEW IT" moment when i saw the news. I might have to find some old x-files episodes to watch in celebration.

kilik said...

But don't you think it's too late
...she had no career?..
..don't you think it's kind of
unnerving when someone came out..
when their career... I don't know?
"Over"...just saying.

egghead said...

Agent Scully was/is the best female role model in recent time. That show was my world for so long. At that time it was the only thing on. Still to this day, not much has eclipsed the X-Files.

I had never-ever seen her in interview until I saw her on Ellen. Man, that was obvious the way those two were carrying on. But until I saw that video on youtube the other day, my gaydar was nowhere near this.

Anonymous said...

kilik: Don't you think you were a bit too harsh on Ms. Gillian Anderson? One interviewer asked her a question and she honestly replied to her/him. This actress is actually WORKING in England and she now spends most of time there. That's why you don't see much of her in US. And the entertainment industry is rather difficult for older women. A lot of older actresses are much worse than her. She has a decent career and a nice family. I do not care much about her sexuality. Most importantly, she is happy with what she has right now.

Rosie said...

OOOH!You made me think about the good old days of X Files...I once went away on vacation and my roomies pasted a huge poster of Scully on the ceiling above my bed.I had a lot of bedtime inspiration if you know what I mean hehehe I also dreamt once that I was the filling in a Mulder-Scully sandwich...Oh Scully, her character should have been on our side since the get go.

Anonymous said...

Revealed her past relationships? Past ,doesnt that make her bi at best?

Lola said...

Yep!

Unknown said...

When I read this scoop I wondered if 10 years from now Kristen Stewart would be the "I knew it" moment Gillian Anderson it's being nowadays...

kilik said...

I'm sorry if i'm being "harsh"..
But as I had said..
It's like too late for
her to "Came Out"...Like she is just using this "gay thing" for her to be
a hot item again?..And Bravo to her
cuz look ...we're into it! lol
...and arguing?... O O ...
Publicity is always a Publicity.
in anyway you can get. ...imo...

Gillian Anderson fan said...

At least she is true to herself. I like her attitude and characteristics as an actress.

UnderTheDark said...

THAT explains why you see her backstage in k.d.lang's All You Can Eat tour DVD... k.d. got ALL the ladies :D