Monday, January 09, 2012

Out darling

To every lesbian alive in the 70s and 80s, your gaydar was right. On Friday, teen idol Kristy McNichol came out. Pause for the sound of lesbians everywhere screaming, “I KNEW IT!” Yes, the lesbian equivalent of David Cassidy is, in fact, a lesbian. Still, it’s a wonder anyone with eyes was surprised by this news. I mean, come on.

Now, as celebratory and vindicated as this news makes me feel, I must confess that Kristy wasn’t necessarily my girl crush back in the day. I was too young to enjoy her teen movie queen years. And then I never watched her later TV resurgence. Quite frankly, I was more of a Nancy McKeon girl, myself. (p.s. Nancy, if you feel like making any late-in-life announcements, a grateful nation of lesbians will thank you.) But Kristy’s announcement is still just fantastic news, as is her reasoning, which her publicist told People magazine was to “be open about who I am” and hopes her coming out “can help kids who need support.” Granted, the kids being bullied probably are too young to know who the hell Kristy McNichol is. But that doesn’t matter because every coming out makes a difference, every coming out helps make the world a little better. No matter early or late in life, it all helps. Kristy, who is 49, has been with her partner for the last 20 years. Nicely done, darling.

And, speaking of darling, how prescient did “Little Darlings” turn out to be? I swear, Kristy in that black tank top turned a whole generations of teens into baby dykes. Also, Kristy and Cynthia Nixon were both in that movie and turned out to be gay. If Tatum O'Neal comes out then perhaps we were wrong all along – it is contagious.

14 comments:

sarcofugus said...

:) I knew it. No, really, I did.

And yes, everyone who comes out, whether gay or lesbian does make a difference - it shows people - and themselves that they're not afraid of who they are.

If the world doesn't like it; then it's the world's loss, innit? :D

Anonymous said...

lol, yeah, a big "duh? no kidding" from the lesbian nation.

no-one said...

Good for her. Now I feel like watching The Pirate Movie.

frannie said...

Oh This explains sooo much about why I love the movie, The Night The Lights Went out in Georgia

Big Shamu said...

I love coming outs. All of them. But the ones I REALLY love are the ones where the Lesbian Nation gasps and says "NO FUCKING WAY"

A fantasy coming out? Julie Andrews.

egghead said...

Wow, McNichol aged well!!

Anonymous said...

Well tell me something I don't know instead of everything I do.

Still now it's official, good for you...

Anonymous said...

While I applaud anyone coming out in the public eye like that, what Kristy and her partner Martie Allen are really doing to help those bullied kids out there, is being role models that long term lesbian relationships are out there and should be celebrated. We don't see nearly enough gay and lesbian couples who have been together for 20 years or more. So kudos to that on top of Kristy coming out.

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that she finally felt she could come out. When I saw her spending an entire evening making out with a woman (20-some-odd years ago in a gay country/western club in L.A.) it made me wonder if I'd missed an announcement -- guess not!

Nic said...

As a friend reminded me, not only was she in Little Darlings with Cynthia Nixon, but she was also in Family...with Meredith Baxter. Rather fitting :)

And yes, I'm a huge Nancy girl too.

XX said...

young Matt Damon looks like Kate Moennig :)

Anonymous said...

Meh. It's too bad that it takes about 20 years for celebs to come out after their careers are over, even when everyone already knew they were gay.

At least it's not another one on the bullshit bisexual/fluid/no labels/whatever bandwagon.

Anonymous said...

Meh. It's too bad that it takes about 20 years for celebs to come out after their careers are over, even when everyone already knew they were gay.

At least she's not on the bullshit bisexual/fluid/no labels bandwagon.

XX said...

oop, Matt Dillon