Monday, November 14, 2011

The Swan Queen

I have a new Sunday night obsession. Oh, don’t worry. My heart and pants (hot or otherwise) still belong to “Lost Girl” on Sundays. But, not being Canadian, I often end up watching closer to wee early hours of Monday. (p.s. Dude, that show takes for-freaking-ever to post.) But no, my Sunday night proper obsession is now “Once Upon a Time.” I was having a brief fling with “Pan Am.” But my interest in that show started to swan dive as soon as Dean got more screentime and the women were put on separate storylines instead of together for adventures. I canceled my DVR ticket, so to speak. But a show I’m excited to book my flight for (yes, I m totally overdoing the airplane analogies) and then some is its earlier evening network neighbor “Once Upon a Time.”

A feew episodes in and I’m pretty much hooked. And what I see is a mix of refreshingly reimagined fairytales led by strong female characters. This all makes sense if you know one of my favorite “Buffy” scribes Jane Espenson is a writer-producer on the show. It’s pretty much right up my wheelhouse what with the supernatural fantasy, powerful ladies and sly humor. That one happens to wear tank tops a lot and wield power tools is just an added bonus.

It also is the source of my latest, naughtiest ship. Yes, I totally ship Emma Swan and The Evil Queen (otherwise known as mean mayor Regina Mills). Part of it is the fantastic face-offs we’ve been treated to so far by Jennifer Morrison’s Emma and Lana Parrilla’s Regina. There’s a wicked, wicked chemistry there are the two women play their rivalry with palpable heat. In fact, I think they give each other the best hate eye sex I’ve ever seen.

It also helps that they’re already wearing each other’s clothes, as per last week’s “Enjoy my shirt, because that’s all you’re getting.” The little eyebrow arch from Emma is the thing that launches a 1,000 ships.

And then there’s the time Emma answered her hotel room door for Regina – in nothing but a tank top and underwear.

Oh, God, and the chainsaw! Sweet fancy fairytales, the chainsaw.

The lip quivering! With rage! My God, the hate sex between those two could burn down the world. Also, we have the perfect portmanteau for the pairing already: The Swan Queen. (HT, @mynlugon!)

I actually hope the show makes Regina somewhat more sympathetic, as she was in the first episode, so she’s less cartoony evil and more complexly troubled. Layers make everyone more interesting. Also they’re often flattering, you know, with winter coming up and all. Speaking of clothing, I sure hope they never increase the costume budget so Jennifer has to keep running around in tank tops and leather jackets. Because, woo doggie, do they suit her. This wardrobe is a vast improvement from all the lab coats and button ups on “House.” Man, did I miss her gorgeous, gorgeous face and perfect, perfect eyebrows on my TV every week. Plus now, she’s the cranky badass hero instead.

All this and we haven’t even discussed her mom Mary Margaret/Snow White. The lovely Ginnifer Goodwin and her pixie cut are custom-made for a fairytale. Also, I’m holding out a delusional amount of hope that Ruby/Little Red Riding Hood will turn out to like the ladies. Come on, the Manic Panic in her hair is a dead giveaway.

In summation, I hope to happily ever after for a good long time with this show. And I hope The Swan Queen keeps rage eye shagging each other into the sunset.

22 comments:

vrgriffith said...

I love this show!I agree with all your comments about it. Jane E. is having a great year-this show, Torchwood Miracle Day, Husbands and all the shows she consults for. Here I thought you were busy.

Am totally shipping Regina/Emma too!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Ms. Snarker is on the bandwagon! I think all of us WH13 fangirls smell apples watching this show!

Anonymous said...

Lana Parrilla was quite memorable in Swingtown. Will have to check this out.

Anonymous said...

Ruby is totally one of us! She shamelessly flirts with Emma. Last night, she leaned wayyyyy further down when handing her hot chocolate than was necessary, obviously trying to give her a good view of the ladies.

What? I'm really good at taking a wee bit of subtext and running with it.

Fero said...

I'm glad you join in Dottie. Looking forward to your subscript of 'Once Upon A Time' and of course share the love along.

Aquila said...

Henry needs two Mommies!

Anonymous said...

We caught some of it last night and it kept my interest-a big deal

Alice said...

yay! good to know im not the only one obsessed with this show! emma is sooo hot, i mostly watch for her. :p although i do love the show, i've always had a weakness for fairy tales, the more badass the better.

Anonymous said...

Regina is actually Emma's grandmother, so I can't really ship that.

Regina is snow white's mother, and snow white is Emma's mother.

I do love the show, though.

Anonymous said...

@anon

How do you know Regina(The Queen) is Snow Whites mother? Is this in the original fairy tale? So far I don't get the sense that this is the case on the show. Regina would've needed to give birth to Snow White when she was around 5 years-old to make this work. If you can't tell, I ship The Swan Queen just like Dorothy and REALLY hope they aren't related.

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you didn't neglect cutie patootie Ginnifer in this post. Oh, how I miss my Big Love.

Kim M said...

A tank top, with power tools and killer boots, nuff said:)

Anonymous said...

If this show were produced in Britain, it would be a marvelous mini-series that we would drool over for decades. Since it's being done in America, what we're getting is a show that could be fantastic, if it weren't for the producers being rightfully worried that their general audience is too stupid to really get the concept. I like it, but I'm refusing to love it because I know it'll be just another Pushing Daisies. And that pain...? That pain STILL hasn't healed.

SlyNellie said...

FINALLY. The fairest Snarker of them all has returned: )
I thought we lost you to the ash heap of Prime Suspect. 
Once Upon A Time is exactly what it needs to be -- a big bowl of buttery toffee popcorn! Wardrobe alone deserves an Emmy. Jennifer & Ginnifer make a cute couple except for the whole creepy mother/daughter deal and Lana is one delicious apple tart (not since the days of Callisto have I cheered so hard for a villainess). If this show is able to maintain, you'll have to add "Horny" to the list of dwarves.

shade said...

must check out this show. your previous recommendations ..Cough *lost girl*.... cough worked well for me. i take an hours lunch and read the real time tweeting for the episodes. :)

Shasta said...

I was also thinking that the Snow White is the queen's daughter, but when I rethought it, I'm pretty sure she's another evil stepmother. Boy those fairy tales like those! So I don't have to feel so bad about the Snow Queen then. heh!

ceruleanmind said...

The Evil Queen is not related to Snow White in the original fairytale, she's only her stepmother, so nothing stands in the way of The Swan Queen as far as I'm concerned. And I've been concerned ever since the first episode aired. :) Great to see I'm not the only one shipping the hell out of these two. Let's hope for more meaningful interaction between them in the near future and more glimpses into Regina's past because I'd sure love to get to know her motivations better. I'm such a sucker for a complex/not entirely black-and-white villain, always have been.

Anonymous said...

I effing love Once Upon A Time--it's my new favorite show!!! And wow does Jennifer ever look hot in those tank tops, and Gennifer Goodwin is ADORABLE in her pixie cut~ :D

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ms. Snarker,

I found this when i was looking for "the swan queen" fanfics:

http://thejollyape.livejournal.com/239085.html

I hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I am sooo happy I'm not the only one who thinks that Ruby is a lesbian (soooo damn hot). And I totally have a thing for Swan Queen (I love that name), and I think those two have amazing chemistry (I personally don't understand why Regina is with the sheriff, when she and Emma should totally get it on *grin* -- or I could have Regina...*drool*).

I've always loved re-telling of fairytales, and the ones where the female characters are really strong and complex are my favourite. Apart from the cool story-line, I have to admit I watch it for the gorgeous ladies and all the lesbian subtext I can spot. So glad to know there's someone else that thinks the same thing I do about this show. :)

Anonymous said...

why is there no more lesbian goggles recap on Afterellen? i miss reading them.

Unknown said...

The creators said Emma and Regina are not gay. Read it here http://www.tv.com/m/shows/once-upon-a-time-2011/community/post/once-upon-a-time-swan-queen-138316970768/