Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Why don't you come on over

Now, the other day some of you seemed seriously perplexed at my lack of Brittana/Heya in the SGALGG co-workers post. But come on, kittens, you know I love me some Brittana. I mean I really, really love them. Like more than a person my age should. Like the breakdown of why I watch “Glee” is 50 percent Brittana, 40 percent Jane Fucking Lynch, 9 percent Kurt and 1 percent everyone else. Which, of course, is why this Brittany/Artie pairing (Bartie, or more accurately, Barfie) is starting to really piss me off. They make no sense – none. Brittany hit on Artie to make Santana jealous. Artie still likes Tina. Artie and Brittany have less than zero in common. Remember the no-no boobies finger? You only deny the ones you love. And how could we forget the intertwined pinky fingers? Never, that’s how. And then this episode gave us the all-powerful beckoning finger. Oh, Santana Lopez, what you can do with just one little finger.

The Beckoning
[Hat tip, stace_ for finding The Beckoning gif!]

You know, I don’t expect a lot from “Glee.” I mean, I do I expect ridiculously elaborate musical numbers, out-of-nowhere character developments and the continued creepification of Mr. Shue. I watch it for fun and escapism and jazz hands, as I’ve said so many times before. But sometimes, just sometimes, I hope against hope that “Glee” can be more. It has done more, particularly with Kurt (though, come on guys, give that poor kid a boyfriend already). So why not let Brittana be that for the gals, too? Why force them into awkward and unnecessary straight pairings? I mean, Santana and Puck at least make a little sense. They’re both just hot and horny teenagers. But Brittany and Artie? That’s just a deliberate poke in the eye. Look, Ryan Murphy, I know you know that us gay ladies can be sustained on subtext alone for seemingly forever. We’re use to table scraps and sweeps month smooches. But that doesn’t mean that’s all you have to give us. We deserve more, so much more. Though, I am grateful for the ass slap.

Come on, Mr. Murphy, we’ve been very good this year. I think we deserve a big box of Brittana in our stocking this year.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for calling the Glee creators out on this Brittana fuckery. I haven't even seen the latest ep even tho Naya finally has a solo. It's just not the same and I'm sick of American TV playing with my expectations. So, even tho I love Jazz hands as well, I've had enough of this show that pats itself on the back for Kurt but acts like every other show in it's treatment of female sexuality.

Anonymous said...

But of course we're getting a heaping helping of Barfie for Christmas. Yeah it pisses me off.

Anonymous said...

Four for you, Dorothy.

This Barfie travesty is making me want to quit Glee altogether. It's so awkward and uncomfortable I have to avert my eyes everytime they're on screen together, even though I love Brittany.

I've got this sinking feeling they've dropped the Brittana storyline since they're acting like Duets (which was a pivotal episode for us shippers) never happened. The lack of followup to it greatly upsets me.

Unknown said...

YEAH What SHE said!!! Oh snarkers howI crush upon you!

vrgriffith said...

Once they split Brittana up I stopped watching the show.Survive on the recaps at AfterEllen.

Well said DS.

Anonymous said...

thank you Ms Snarker, great post!!

Brittana shippers hail you!

Emily said...

As much as I appreciate what they're doing for gay visibility with all of this Kurt stuff, there's been so damn much of him in EVERY episode this season that it's actually making me sick. If Glee's trying to break down barriers or something, why can't they give us our Britanna? If they claim that would be too much to handle, then Ryan Murphy & Co. shouldn't have even brought up their "relationship" in the first place. It's getting to be cruel, at this point. And a little too ridiculous. Barfie, really? C'mon Glee, you can do better than that.

Anonymous said...

I'm still holding out hope, because "Duets" was a clear case of establishing a possible pairing. But I hate, hate, hate how the writers have treated Brittana since then, and how they treat women in general. It's getting offensive, and I'm not sure how much longer I can keep watching.

marielquart said...

Great post! What episode is that .gif and screen shot from?

C. said...

Hey Dorothy, check this Anti-Barfie statement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhAZsHmYBNQ

inthewoods said...

The Barfie pairing is ridiculous. I keep wondering if they really could not find a better looking gay guy that could sing to fill the Kurt role. When they told him to smile I thought no don't smile that just makes it worse.
The first time I switched onto Glee it was during an episode where the two Cheerleaders were kissing. It has gone downhill since then.

Solo-Evolution said...

I thought I was the only one who re-watched 3 times the 'come to me' finger sign :))) or whatever..wouldnt mind some lizzy the lezzy story between those two either..:)
Kurt...with all do respect annoys me now..nd all this tongue when he 'sing'oh gosh...the whole story was fun and powerful,but now its just blahg...makes me dont wanna even write about it :)

scrubs said...

Found this Anti Barfie/Pro-Brittana vid on tumblr. It's hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhAZsHmYBNQ

Neon Blue said...

While I like the idea of Brittana in theory, and think it makes a good end-game pairing, at the moment, I don't know if I'd be into it.

I love Santana as a character, but as a person, she's not very nice at all. She's one of the few student characters in the show who's been mean purely for the purpose of being mean, and as Brittany isn't a nasty person at all, for me, the writers would have to come up with a pretty good justification for why a character who's pretty outwardly horrible to lots of people acts so differently around Brittany.

That, and while I definitely saw romantic longing in Brittany's actions towards Santana in Duets, a lot of Santana's actions were far more possessive then romantic.

Lei Carver said...

Nicely written!

http://schnookum.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Preach!

beebee said...

Afraid I don't agree, but still love the post!

I don't think Britanna is a good pairing. Santana is horrible to her and cruel. ANd really, who ends up with their high school make-out partner.

Yes it was fun to have them and to have their secret tension, but it's not a relationship worth pulling our sapphic hair over. Glee is so gay, so so gay, I can't complain.

miri said...

I don't know, Dorothy. Yes, I would love more Brittana and yes, Glee has been a horrible tease about it all. But just because that's true doesn't make me inclined to hate on "Bartie". In fact, I think it's kind of amazing that they not only have a disabled character in a pretty visible role, but he also gets a romance with the hot blonde cheerleader! Having a disabled character and then allowing him to be sexual (to an extent...they don't really do anyone perfectly) is a pretty big deal.

I really, really want Glee to give us some legit women loving and not back down from it. But I think we always have to be careful that in calling for certain media representations, we don't overlook other marginalized voices.

Luísa said...

I love Glee for their musical numbers, not their story telling, but Brittana was a ship I really loved and they ruined it for me. Although moments like Valerie give me hope, and the off-screen friendship gives me the fuzzy feelings that the writers on the show refuse to give us, I still wanted more. And it's not asking much. I don't understand the need to ruin something that was born and grew so naturally. Their chemistry deserved more. Thank you for pointing it out with yet another wonderful post.