Thursday, July 17, 2008

What a dame

Holy tea and crumpets! Now that's what I call a properly buttered scone. Her majesty Helen Mirren showed off her slammin' bikini body while vacationing in Italy this week. I'm pretty sure when I first saw these pictures all my higher brain function stopped and I was reduced to pointing at the screen and going “Hum-ah-nah, hum-ah-nah, hum-ah-nah...” Now, I can't say entirely for sure because I also blacked out. But when I woke up I was both grinning and drooling. Oh, sorry, did I forget to mention that Helen celebrates her 63rd birthday next week?

[For the love of all that is right and good, click the above picture to enlarge. It would be positively criminal not to.]

Oh, Helen, you've always been the sauciest of minxes. But what is possibly even more impressive than her (enviable/rocking/stomach so flat you could serve flapjacks on it) body is the confidence she shows by getting out there with her bad self in that bright red bikini. Apparently the shots have caused quite a stir in British press. Though, really, we shouldn't be that shocked. Sixty isn't ancient. And Helen has always been sexy. Put that together and it only makes sense that she's sexy at 60. In our overly Botoxed age of silicon and collagen, it's beyond refreshing to see a woman who embraces her age and says, “Damn right, and I look good.” She sure does. All hail the queen!

[Hat tip, Fletcher, Shannon and Marilyn!]

p.s. For those uninitiated, Helen could be considered the queen of getting her kit off. In fact this dame could have an entire Naked Lady Monday in her honor. Wait, now there's an idea...

16 comments:

Big Shamu said...

Amen Sister, aging gracefully and naturally is not a bad thing. Thanks Helen for reminding us.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...I saw these pictures yesterday and was like, "wow". She is absolutely beautiful.

Slym said...

uh.... ah.... ummm... *THUD* All hail the que*thud*

Anonymous said...

I have to say that sixty has never looked sexier than it does on Dame Helen Mirren! Yowza!
I saw those pics the other day and the first thing I thought was... that's definitely a heads up for the Dorothy Surrenders blog. I'm glad to see that my instincts were correct!

Anonymous said...

I love this post...."sauciest of minxes" ... brilliant. Good on you, Dorothy.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm impressed and jealous at the same time. I wish I looked that good in a bikini.

Nelfy said...

damn it! if I had a body like that, I'd wear a bikini as well!! but then I'd have to work to get to such a body, so I'm just too lazy for that. but that just shows that if you eat right and exercise you can easily beat some 30-years old body!

Anonymous said...

Oh lord she's gorgeous. Thanks for the pix.

Anonymous said...

Wow oh wow oh wow...I have a whole new perspective on Dame Helen! :D

Anonymous said...

God Save the Queen then! :P

Anonymous said...

Lookin good! Thanks for posting these pics, I would never have otherwise stumbled upon them as aside from some internet play I am quite out of the loopty.

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Eureka! I've found my replacement for Sela Ward. Thanks, Dorothy

Anonymous said...

I was aiming for a body like Jennifer Beals, soon to be 45 in December but after these pics, I have a new and hopefully more attainable goal. And she's immensely talented as well.

Lost In Splendor said...

First off your intro was hilarious! She does look damn good. Go ahead, Helen Mirren! We can only dream of aging that well. She is like a fine wine.

CoffeeDog said...

Dayum...mmmm, she's so fine.

Anonymous said...

....damn.....fabulous post by the way... I just found your blog by way of "uppoppedafox.com"; glad to have run across you!