Wednesday, October 23, 2024

We Are the Champions

You know me, I’m not much for the sportsball. But if it’s women’s sportsball, well, you know that’s entirely different. I’ve gotten into the WNBA this season and very much enjoyed the playoffs and finals (yes, fine, sometimes I only watch during the playoffs because – damn seasons are long and these travel food shows won’t watch themselves).

Anyway, this is just a long way of saying, how about that NY Liberty vs. Minnesota Lynx Game 5? And of course it went to overtime. Of course. While I wasn’t necessarily rooting for either team (saving my allegiances for the Valkyrie, Bay Area baby!), I was rooting for a good game. And despite a bit of a shooting rut for some of the stars, we certainly got that.

Also, I love that two of the championship team’s biggest players are out, proud and happily celebrating for all to see with their partners and families. While the WNBA has certainly undergone some growing pains this unprecedented year (like, maybe don’t let “fans” be racist and homophobic, m’kay?), it also has evolved into one of the most inclusive leagues out there. We can only hope that as the WNBA’s popularity grows, so will its embrace of diversity and equity for all its players.

So congrats to the Liberty. Congrats to Breanna Stewart and her wife (and adorable baby) and to Finals MVP Jonquel Jones and her fiancée. Everyone watches women’s sportsball!

No comments: