Friday, July 05, 2024

My Weekend Crush

The world feels pretty terrible right now. So instead let’s zoom off to another planet. I love a good coming-of-age story and I really love a good 90s-based coming of age story. So instead of our current geopolitical hellscape, how about we enter into the summer of one 10-year-old girl (who, based on the Autostraddle review, might be a burgeoning queer). From the trailer this intimate, quiet story is exactly what we need to combat the loud, obnoxious everything of each increasingly unhinged headline. Plus, I’ve always liked Julianne Nicholson and Sophie Okonedo and am pleased to see them working together. Honestly, it reminds me a bit of a maternal version of “Aftersun,” where nothing and everything happens – which is exactly what it feels like growing up. Happy weekend, all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seeing it this weekend - can't wait!
Plus, that part of Mass. holds a special place in my heart.