Wednesday, March 16, 2022

What’s Cooking

I guess this is the week for me recommending things that aren’t necessarily gay, but I am into anyway. I know, I guess everything can’t be gay. I guess. But I’m still excited to see the new series based on the life of the O.G. celebrity chef, Julia Child. Now, I’m old enough to have seen her show on TV, reruns and newer incarnations. And, of course, I vividly remember that Dan Aykroyd SNL impersonation which I think gave me lasting PTSD about using chef’s knives.

Anyway, I’m excited for Julia to have a renaissance of sorts. Yes, she had a moment in 2009 when we all wished there was more Meryl and less not Meryl in that “Julie & Julia” movie. But now in quick succession we have last year’s critically acclaimed documentary “Julia,” and now this year the new dramatized series “Julia” based on her life.

“Happy Valley” and “Last Tango in Halifax” star Sarah Lancashire fills the real Julia’s size 12 shoes in the new series that also stars David Hyde Pierce, Bebe Neuwirth and Isabella Rossellini. I mean, it’s not gay but it’s women of a certain age in a certain time period interest quotient is very, very high. Anyway, I love cooking and feminist icons and stories about overcoming crushing sexism to spectacular success. So, bon appetit, kittens.

4 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

more Meryl and less not Meryl ins exactly what “Julie & Julia” needed

Hannah said...

omg I did not know that was Sarah Lancashire until her name came up, but I was like 'who is that?'. This looks fun, and look at that cast!

Anonymous said...

Wow I had not heard of this. Intrigued by the casting of SL as I’d imagine us Brits would be up in arms at ‘an American’ playing a British icon. Maybe works differently the other way though??

And our Sarah never fails to be fantastic so this is a must watch for me. Thanks for the heads-up.

Anonymous said...

And now I’ve gotten over the Sarah casting and properly absorbed the rest of the cast - wowsers. This show is gonna be as camp as hell and I can’t wait. What a line up.