Friday, March 04, 2022

My Weekend Crush (Ultimatum)

Well, I did not have Eve turning to Jesus on my bingo card, but here we are. I don’t know if I’d call that start to the final season of “Killing Eve” auspicious. Instead the show has pulled off quite the switcheroo. When we started, Eve was our flailing obsessive, chasing after a dangerous and elusive target. And now Villanelle is flailing, chasing after a dangerous and elusive target.

While Villanelle is starting, even if for not entirely holy reasons, to go toward the light, Eve is racing headlong into the darkness. The cat is now the mouse, the mouse is now the cat. You know, the whole feline analogy thing.

I can’t say where this will all end. It’s called “Killing Eve” after all so I’m not sure anyone is going to ride off into a perpetual sunrise together or anything. But I can say for certainty that if their romance or lust of just unhealthy obsessive interest in each other isn’t satisfied in this its final season, I won’t feel satisfied either. In short, these two gotta shag. They really do.

You can’t bait us for four seasons — with awkward shepherd's pie dinners and knives-to-throat flirting and cheek-to-cheek actual dancing and THE BUS KISS — without following through. You simply cannot. That’s unfair to loyal fans who have watched all this time as the slow simmer of attraction became an uncontrollable boiling of whatever the hell these two are for each other now.

Don’t get me wrong. I am intrigued to see if Eve Villanelle’s relationship with the pastor’s daughter is going to go anywhere. I mean, what’s a little near fatal drowning between friends and lovers? Poor thing, she’s got it bad. I mean not Eve Season 1 levels bad, but pretty bad.

I hope this show, that’s been this smart and this stylish and this sexy all these years, can find a way to stick the landing. They owe it to their fans, but more so they owe it to Sandra and Jodie who have bristled and burned with chemistry. Make it right, “Killing Eve.” Don’t make me feel sorry, baby. Happy weekend, all.

2 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

I have not seen any episodes of this season yet but if eve and Vilanelle don’t get together I am going to riot

Anonymous said...

*V and pastors daughter, not Eve. I’m so glad it’s back gonna miss this crazy show, sniff, waiting for Sandra’s next project