Friday, July 21, 2017

My Weekend Lesbian Power Couple

Newsflash: All your favs are gay and apparently dating each other. In an interview with ESPNW released yesterday, it was revealed that Sue Bird, of the U.S. Women’s National Basketball team and the WNBA’s Seattle Storm, and Megan Rapinoe, of the U.S. Women’s National Soccer team and NWSL’s Seattle Reign, are dating. They met, and this is adorable, at the 2016 Olympics in Rio because of course their meet-cute is better/more impressive/infinitely sportier than yours.



In the same interview Sue, a 15-year veteran of the WNBA and 10-time All-Star, came out as gay.

“I'm gay. Megan's my girlfriend. ... These aren't secrets to people who know me. I don't feel like I've not lived my life. I think people have this assumption that if you're not talking about it, you must be hiding it, like it's this secret. That was never the case for me.

"It's happening when it's happening because that's what feels right. So even though I understand there are people who think I should have done it sooner, it wasn't right for me at the time. I have to be true to that. It's my journey."
Congratulation on coming to this stage of your journey, Sue. And congratulations on your super sporty relationship. This is most definitely one of those times I bemoan the fact that same-sex couples can’t produce their own biological offspring because, damn, can you imagine the athletic prowess of the Bird-Rapinoe baby?



So now I guess all that is left is to rank them on the Definitive Lesbian Power Couple List. Below Ellen and Portia (duh, because everyone is below them). Probably above Samira and Lauren (sorry, fellow writers, we’re still just writers). Less May-December than Sarah Paulson and Holland Taylor (you know, not that there's anything wrong with that). Near wherever K-Stew and whomever she is currently dating (but seriously, who is it now?) Happy lesbian power coupling weekend, all.

6 comments:

Danielle Warby said...

This made my day. The only thing better than out sporty lesbians is out sporty lesbians dating each other. Also, that article in espnW was a masterpiece.

Helena said...

Totally agree with Danielle , this really made my day. Sport is my life - so this feels so close to home :)

Carmen SanDiego said...

Imagine the size of the trophy case they are going to need when the U-Haul together

AK said...

My Big smile is also for the celebration of our Lives & Loves. When I grew up (50-60's) neither of these issues were open to women! We could not play sports or openly love, much less get married to each other. WOW.......

Alex said...

Wow. This is certainly a pleasant and wonderful surprise. This really made me smile. I've always had a crush on Sue Bird and she's one of my favorite basketball players. I wish them both happy and winning seasons.

Anonymous said...

lmao. Pinoe is a snake. She was ENGAGED to someone else when she started hanging out with Sue at Rio. And before that she was hanging out with her now ex-fiancee when her then Australian girlfriend just got her green card and was about to move to the US.