Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Era of Edie

As the days dwindle down in 2013, it’s time to do that retrospective thing we humans love to do. And, given my activities this past weekend, I thought I’d pay some renewed respect to our gal Edie. Of course, we all know her story by now and her Edie vs. the Goliath of the United States of America victory. And she was rightfully the third runner-up for Time Person of the Year this year. Yet still, it’s stunning to think how one 84-year-old woman has changed the world, and will continue changing the world for the better for years to come. People have and will and still criticize our movement’s focus on marriage as one of our key battles. But I see it as our smartest possible fight. Because, make no mistake, love is transformative. And when you see it, it’s also impossible to deny. So then nothing inferior will do, no union or partnership or skim milk marriage will suffice. Only “I do” will do. And we certainly do love our Edie.

5 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

So beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us, Ms. Snarker.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. "That summer ..."

Sigh.... "...if only we hadn't put all that energy into hiding."

I'm watching this again. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

I'm not anonymous, ^ my name is Kate. Thanks again. The photos took me on a gracious and elegant walk through private, personal lives in love.

egghead said...

Edie at 84. Wow, I hope I look that good. If I make it to there.

"I want to go to there." ~ signed Alice Fey

Carmen SanDiego said...

So pissed that The Advocate picked Pope Fracis over Edie as person of the year...