Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Seven-Year Surrender

Seven years and nary an itch. Luckily also no burning. Well, mostly no burning. Today is the seventh – yes, seven fucking years – blogiversary of Dorothy Surrenders. I’ve been writing whatever damn things pop into my head – high art, low art, mediocre art, politics, feminism, tank tops, naked ladies, ladies in suits and pretty much everything and anything pertaining to gay ladies – for seven damn years. I must be nuts.

But, as always, I couldn’t go it without you guys. Well, I probably could – but it would be so much lonelier. Instead, thanks to you, it feels like a little community. A tiny little corner of the series of tubes dedicated to pop culture, gay women and anywhere the two intersect. And I owe you all an enormous thanks. You gals (and discerning guys) are the reason I keep posting day after day after day, even when I’m not quite sure what to write about, even when I’m not quite sure I even feel like writing. Because I love sharing with you. Thank you, and you, and, yes, even you.

A quick update on some housekeeping: Yes, I suck. I am still working on completing the perks. I have no excuse other than life gets busy. But I am going to fulfill all the perks as promised. I have the postcards sitting on my dining room table guilting me every single day. They say, what the hell, Snarker? Why do you suck? Send us out already. And I will. Along with the rest of the remaining perks. Ugh, have I mentioned I suck?

But you guys, you definitely don’t suck. So, please, on this seventh anniversary of me saying, “Hey, I should start a blog,” please accept my continual thanks. To quote Ruth to her Idgie, “This is the best birthday I ever had.” Well, the best seventh blogiversary at the very least. So have a slice of big gay cake. And who feels like skinny dipping?


25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Don't ever stop writing!
Love,
Laila

Anonymous said...

A very, very happy anniversary! Thanks for all the words x

Zed said...

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Thank you for keeping us in the loop, for inspiring us and for always providing the most delectable eye candy any girl could ask for, on any given day!You are an institution and you make us proud. http://justnotliketheothers.blogspot.com XXX

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to the best blog on the web!! It's the only one I check everyday, yes even on weekends when there ae no updates, and have saved to my favourites.xx

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary DS. Keep on writing, your blog is part of my every day escape and joy on the web xxx

Lucy Hallowell said...

Thank you for what you do every single day. I try to keep my fangirl tendencies in check because it's not always very dignified to fawn but it's your blogiversary and if that's not an occasion for a little appreciation I don't know what is.

I started writing my own blog because I loved reading yours so much I wanted to give it a whirl (though I hope the word doesn't blame you for me inflicting my writing upon it). It has given me a greater sense of the difficulty of what you do every day as well as a deeper appreciation for your skills as a writer, your capacity for wit, poignancy, and, of course, tank tops.

I marvel at your extraordinary ability to strike the perfect note so that we all hear it and realize it's the unnamed tune we've been humming along or had stuck in our head but could not name it or describe it to save our lives. You make us say "yes! that's exactly how I have been feeling."

That's enough embarrassing flailing for a bit. So, just thank you for all of this. Thank you a million times over.

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary!!!

Erica said...

Happy Happy Happy Anniversary! Wow! I've been reading with you for a good while now... :)

lcn1220 said...

<3. That is all. Thank you :)


;) babs said...

CONGRATS!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary darling!

PD

Carmen SanDiego said...

Happy blogiversary and THANK YOU for continuing to do this every day DS, you ol' beecharmer, you.
Aaaaand now I have to watch Fried Green Tomatoes again. Or read some Idgie/ruth fanfiction...

MJNuts said...

Happy birthday to your blog! :)

And thank you for everything, Dorothy, you're one of my strongest LGBTQ-spiration and I could never thank you enough for that. Your work helped make me a better and more informed human being.

Here's to many more amazing years!

Unknown said...


Happy Anniversary!

Have you seen this yet?
Tilda Swinton Dance Party

Shasta said...

7 years of awesome! Thank you for the mix of thoughtfulness and wonderful salaciousness. You've made a great little corner of the internet here and we'd be poorer without it!
(should I be worried that sometimes it's really hard to prove I'm not a robot?!)

Anonymous said...

Snarker! I've been reading your blog almost since its inception. Like so many others have said, yours is the only blog I read daily. I love and appreciate every single word! Your writing is witty, insightful, fresh, and ADDICTIVE! Keep us comin' back for another seven years!!! Much love from this faithful reader and adoring fan.

roussefolle said...

Congrats and thank You for all Your work!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday from Vienna/Austria :)

You really are an institution, the only blog I've been reading for years now.

herisson said...

Happy birthday from Paris, this is birthday present from France
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christiane-taubira/civil-marriage-is-now-universal_b_3146442.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Caitlin said...

It's totally my birthday!!! So I feel like we're celebrating together. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I don't comment as much as I should, but I read, appreciate, applaud and/or ogle (in a good way :) ) every day!

Happy Blogiversary! And here's to many, many more years of Tank-Top Tuesdays!

;)

Panty Buns said...

HAPPY 7th BLOGIVERSARY!!!

Jody said...

Love you, Snarker. Never stop writing.

Anonymous said...

A very Happy 7th! Xo Cgrrl

Unknown said...

Congrats and Happy Blogiversary! I'm not a big blogger, but I proudly must admit you had me completely hooked after I read this blog http://dorothysurrenders.blogspot.com/2011/11/out-of-this-world.html . It ever so sweetly reminded me that regardless of all the noise that may arise on many subject that interests me, "The Truth is Out There," and I can probably find it here! Cheers, and here's to many more...