Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Fetch me my axe

I’ve been thinking about this trailer for about a week and I can’t decide if I love it or if it’s everything I hate about the world. Probably a combination of the two. The “it” in question is the red-band trailer for the new ensemble comedy “This is the End.” Check it out for yourself and let’s discuss. I’ll make some tea for us. It’ll be nice.



Now, clearly, it stars pretty much every single geek dude antihero/hero working in film and TV today: James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson, Michael Cera, Jason Segel, Aziz Ansari , Jay Baruchel and Christopher “McLovin” Mintz-Plasse, to name a few. It also features a few notable ladies: Rihanna , Mindy Kaling and Emma Watson wielding an axe.

The celebrities playing their fictional selves angle for an entire movie is novel, but also rather vain. And chummy. And self indulgent. Plus, I highly doubt any of the female characters are more than cameos. Mindy for fantasy geek girl loves geek boy angle. Rihanna for the ass-slap. And Emma for the OMG it’s Hermione of it all. p.s. Remember when Natalie Portman played against type on SNL? Yep, like that.

I guess what bothers me most about it is the dudes just making each other laugh chumminess of it all. Not that some of their dumbass antics didn’t make me chuckle. They guys are funny, you can’t deny it. But you can practically see the “No Girls Allowed” sign hanging over Franco’s front door. Fetch me my axe, that’ll make everything better.

3 comments:

Kristan said...

Um, no. I laughed at the Milky Way thing, but you couldn't pay me to watch this movie.

Then again, I don't think we're the intended audience.

Caitlin said...

I was totally with you until Emma Watson came in. It looks like no matter how minor her role is she has totally bossed it. Omg she looks cool. Still not sure if I'd see the film though.

TheWeyrd1 said...

So basically with that trailer, I have no need to see the movie now. I mean it's Emma Watson, with an axe, nailing that dude in the face with the butt end of it. Clearly This is the End...of the movie.