Monday, October 12, 2009

Nice day for it

Well, it was a hell of a weekend to be gay. What with the President opening for Lady Gaga and tens of thousands of gays marching for their rights. You know, just another normal Sunday. You know, the thing about being gay is that sometimes it can feel awfully lonely. We’re one of the few minority groups whose families aren’t automatically just like us. We often have to seek out others to find community and understanding. And, depending on where you live, you may not know a single other soul you think is just like you. Of course these days the internet has made it much easier. The rainbow is just a click away. But it never hurt to be reminded that we are not alone. We are, in fact, legion. We are everywhere. And we won’t stop until we are equal. If you were there or just watched from home, the National Equality March was that reminder this weekend.

And, believe me, we are most definitely not alone.


Heck, even the sky helped along by providing a rainbow. And that footprint next to it? Somebody upstairs might just be marching along with us.


Please, feel free to share your stories and pictures from the day in the comments. It sure was a nice day for it.

15 comments:

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

With that last pic, the universe has spoken.

.-.-.- said...

Sending much love from France to all my LGBT brothers and sisters

MakingSpace said...

I have tears in my eyes. And I agree with Jennifer.

Cynthia said...

As a Canadian but resides in HK, I salute the courage of my sisters and brothers for the march. It's important to be reminded that the privilege of marrying someone you live is rare outside Canada. Sincerely wish you don't march for LGBT rights someday.

Ash said...

"We’re one of the few minority groups whose families aren’t automatically just like us."
Great point--I never thought about it that way before.
Thanks for another inspiring, insightful post! And YayGay!

Anonymous said...

I just turned 50 and sorry but living in the nation's capital I see allot of things that many of you are not privvy to.

This entire march for equality was merely an exercise to satiate the egos of the organizers.

Look I voted for Obama and like many in the LGTB community I am more than dismayed at Obama's double talk.
The reality is: And it's a HARSH reality but if Obama moves towards more inclusiveness for thew LGTB community Republicans
will waste no time on attacking President Obama on YET Another issue.
Besides no matter the promises he has made the Justice Department has steadfastly worked to maintain the discriminatory practices we already have.

elliB said...

Oh how I wish I had made it, but our bus from Chicago broke down in Toledo. We were rescued after 5+ hours but had to return home. We made the solidarity rally in Chicago, but it was not the same! http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-chicago-gay-march-12oct12,0,3786213.story

cjanet said...

I LOVE the last picture!! That is amazing and so perfect that it was there during this event. Now...if only EVERYONE could understand that.

tlsintx said...

some of the best protest posters ever! and gorgeous radical faeries...

Norma Desmond said...

That last picture totally gave me chills. However, I think I have to agree with what a lot of people have been saying about Obama: a lot of double talk, and he didn't actually promise all that much (nor did he give timelines, nor has he acted on any of the things he's promised thus far at.all.). I can't help it. The cynic in me is roaring loudly about this issue.

Anonymous said...

loving the last picture..a higher power has joined our ranks :)

tree00faery said...

I was right underneath that rainbow (it was before the march started) - everyone freaked out. I don't believe in god or really anything, but it was still really inspirational and awesome.

As much as I'm disappointed by Obama's lack of action, I'm really really inspired by everyone. There were so many people at the march, and so many more back where everyone came from. As long as we stick together, we're gonna win.

kate said...

There was a beautiful interracial straight couple standing along the march route holding a sign that read "Our marriage was once illegal, too." I don't have pictures uploaded yet, but I'll see if I can dig it up when I do. It was lovely.

mrmoonpie said...

I'm 1/2 of that beautiful interracial straight couple! I'm collecting all the pictures I can find for our blog--let me know if you find more. It was really overwheliming--I mean, we figured people would like our sign, but, wow!

julie said...

Oh, I love Cynthia Nixon <3