Friday, August 21, 2009

My Weekend Crush

Now, look, Alexis Bledel. I’m not trying to be inappropriate here. While I’m not old enough to be your Lorelai Gilmore-aged television mother, I know you primarily in the context of being an adorably precocious high school student. So this isn’t some sort of skeezy come on from an older lady. Granted, you’re actually 27 and it wouldn’t be out of the realm of acceptable possibilities – but still. What I want to say instead is that I know you’ve got a new movie opening today. Congrats on that, of course. But as much as I want to support your post-Rory days, I’m probably going to skip “Post Grad.” Not even the great Jane Lynch (and Carol freaking Burnett!) can get me there.

That’s not just because it looks blandly generic. I’m sure it’s perfectly serviceable and something I will eventually end up watching on cable while channel surfing some lazy Sunday afternoon. It’s because I know you can do better. You have that quality. It’s fresh, it’s – dare I say – dewy. You have an accessible sophistication. It’s innocence mixed with capability. And, well, you have those big, impossibly blue eyes. I guess what I’m trying to say is – not to get all maternal here – I’d like you to do well. Despite picking Yale over Harvard, you’ve got a good head on your shoulders. So make me proud, Alexis. Happy weekend, all.

12 comments:

C said...

I feel the same way. Even though Alexis is just adorable in every way, and Gilmore Girls was one of my favorite shows, as her character and I were pretty much the same age, I think she should do more 'Sin City' type stuff and try to break away from the cutesy girl image. I thought she was pretty hot in that film role.

Anna said...

I love Alexis. I'm actually watching Gilmore Girls as I write this. I agree that she needs to try something new and stray from her current "cutesy" image and do something daring.

Unknown said...

I am absolutely in love with this beautiful lady! I've been a fan since Gilmore Girls Season 1, and I also think its sad she doesn't aim higher. I attribute it to her general shyness. I don't think she really wants to be in the spotlight.

Unknown said...

She's only an okay actress so this movie is on her level imo.

Lola said...

Love the Gilmore Girls with all of my heart, but I never really felt that acting is one of Alexis's strengths.

Norma Desmond said...

I pretty much agree with Lola. Lorelei and Emily made GG for me...

Anonymous said...

Wait, what? That's Rory??

Unknown said...

Any Rory/Paris shippers out there? ;)

To be fair, we've not seen Alexis do heavy drama, so who's to say what she's capable of? The comic, witty quipsters are often under-rated. *shrug*

SLS said...

I heart her and wish her well.

Lola said...

Yes, Carmen, comic and witty quippers ARE under-rated, as in Lauren Graham!

Tous107 said...

that picture surely can't be of alexis...are you sure it's her??
could swear her features hadn't changed that much!

Anonymous said...

o, she's younger than me.
you're already in sin city.
i guess.
what about crime city?