Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Brand new Day

So we need to talk a little about Felicia Day. Now, if you know her already then you are already in love with her and need no further introduction from me. In fact, you can probably skip this entire post and just stare adoringly at the pretty picture. And what pretty, pretty pictures they are.

But those who do not recognize Felicia are in for a treat. Because Felicia is kind of like the Queen of The Internets. In fact if you don’t know who she is, perhaps you’ve been spending too much time offline doing things like getting to know your family, reading books or taking long hikes in the forest. Whatever, losers.

In case she looks kinda, sorta familiar, Felicia has starred on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” in the final season as potential slayer Vi, in “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog” as poor doomed Penny and those Sears commercials where the women who loves red is looking for a washing machine as the saleswoman. She is also in the unaired “Epitaph One” episode of “Dollhouse” and is going to make another appearance this season.

But what Felicia is probably best known for is as the creator and star of the massively popular webseries “The Guild,” about a group of gamers who play a massively multiplayer online (MMO) game. The premiere episode has been watched more than 2.7 million times on YouTube. Her second season and upcoming third season has secured corporate sponsorship from the likes of Microsoft and Sprint. She has more than 1 million Twitter followers. She has been profiled in Forbes magazine. In short, she is living the online dream.

Now, I confess to not watching too much of “The Guild.” I’m not a gamer so I fear a lot of the lingo would be lost on me. But I am a fan of ingenuity, creativity and talent. (Also, red hair. Oh gingers, I can’t quit you.) So, clearly, I am a fan of Felicia’s. I follow her on Twitter. I pop in to check out her blog. I read all about her Comic-Con exploits. And now, I can’t stop rewatching “Do You Wanna Date My Avatar.” The video to promote the third season of “The Guild” debuted at No. 1 on iTunes beating out Taylor Swift (with an assist from Joss Whedon himself who urged the legions of Whedonequers to destroy the Swiftbot).


Hottie Felicia! Choreographed dancing! Gamer speak! Money beds! Vaguely medieval, ren-fairy, fantasy hottie outfits! Hello, nerdgasm!

You know what, I’m rethinking this whole, non-gamer/non-watcher thing. I can withstand a little confusion for Felicia. Who is with me? Online “The Guild” viewing party, anyone? Also, I would TOTALLY date her avatar.

p.s. You guys, I couldn’t wait. I totally watched the first season last night all in one sitting. I have been converted. Someone get me a vaguely medieval, ren-fairy, fantasy hottie outfit. I’m hooked.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Love Felicia Day. She's a hottie with talent. And even better, she does librarian, oh so well. I'm not a MMO gamer or any type of fantasy games, but find the Guild very accessible and funny.

Besides his writing, another reason why Whedon is God, is he has a habit of picking extremely talented actors. Felicia just one of many, but she owns the internet.

tlsintx said...

Snarker, you are so easy. (atta girl)

Collins said...

i love love love felicia day. the second she popped up on the screen in dr horrible, she took my breathe away. i, like you snarker, have avoided the guild only because i know nothing of online gaming or gaming in general. i consider it an accomplishment that i have never played guitar hero or other such nonsense. but alas i fear my resistance to ms. day and her guild is futile. color me a convert too.

oh, and gingers...yes, please. christina hendricks, gillian anderson, my girlfriend. just made of all sorts of win.

Steph R said...

I wouldn't [ ctrl-alt-del > shut her down ] for anything.

Redhead + nerd = hubba hubba.

Your friend, Rusty said...

She's adorable. I saw her on the Dr. Horrible panel at Comic-Con a couple of years ago; Joss scolded her for Tweeting during the presentation.

frannie said...

HELL YEA!! I LOVE that! She is a total hottie! I am a redhead and have a thing for redheads. Not to mention she's frikkin brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Just watched the whole first season in one sitting. Thanks for the new obsession.

Silent Bard said...

I love her so much. So, so much. A hot nerd who writes about D&D dice... in PUBLIC????

Sigh. The Guild is awesome. Of course I can relate a little too much being a big old WOW nerd too. ;)

G Funk said...

LOVE The Guild! Great pick!!

pavliuts said...

The Guild was my crack, coke and heroin until I got tired of watching it the 3rd time. Felicia day/Codex kept me alive through all the excessive bliss I'm giving off. My parents started to think I'm Hallucinating things.
and finally, some Felicia exposure! I thought I was the lone crusher of hers in this blog.
Thanks a lot!

Jac said...

Glad you finally came round. I've been waiting for a Felicia post on here for ages! Make sure you check out the jail bird pics on her homepage :D

elliB said...

Felicia piqued my interest way back during Buffy. But I've always had a things for geeks and redheads. I followed her on teh interwebs for a while and fell in love with The Guild from the start (even though I'm not a gamer). I've also followed her friends/costars webseries (in which she hasseveral cameos) and have watched Dr. Horrible more times than I care to mention. She is brilliant, beautiful, accessible and unabashedly a geek. She *is* the Queen of the Internet. All hail the Queen.

iamaleo said...

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm loving The Guild!

Anonymous said...

Watch the quick video of Felicia Day's latest photo shoot. It's pretty adorable.

http://thebuibrothers.com/blog/2009/06/felicia-day-photos/

Amanda said...

Single cutest person....ever.

Amanda

Laura said...

She's GORGE. Love the redheads.

Haha, watched all the first and second series last night. Terribly funny.

smugs said...

Felicia Day DDRing. ADORABLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LES3ORNC-3E&feature=player_embedded

Anonymous said...

Hilarious video of Felicia Day at Blizzcon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbFjePdOpK8