Thursday, October 04, 2007

Nothing compares 2 her

So, Sinéad O'Connor will be on Oprah today to talk about her battle with bipolar disorder (hat tip, Sangmo). Oprah and Sinéad? That’s such a strange combination, I’m having a hard time even envisioning it. I ruminate more on the strange and wonderful creature that is Sinéad over at AfterEllen today. But I didn’t get a chance to share this video I dug up of her performing Cole Porter’s “You Do Something To Me” for the 1990 AIDS benefit album “Red Hot + Blue.” I distinctly remember watching the TV special and loving Sinead’s sexy, surreal take on the number so much that I taped it. Yes, back in the days before MP3s and CD-RWs and Google and YouTube, I held my little Panasonic tape player up to the TV, put in a fresh blank tape and pressed record. I bet I could still find that tape somewhere, if I looked hard enough. Good thing I don’t have to. Enjoy.

3 comments:

ravaj said...

i have always been a big fan of veronica lake, at least in preston sturges films. sinead does an excellent veronica here i think!

nb i also have a collection of tapes somewhere recorded by holding the recorder next to the tv!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...those were the days. I remember when the Red, Hot and Blue album came out. For one thing the AIDS organization I was working for at the time was one of the recipients of the profits from it, which was considerable.

I was more interested in k d lang and Annie Lennox contributions to the album at the time, but I was intrigued by the whole flavour of her video, and her look.

Her interview on Oprah was like the silent splintering of the veneer of celebrity. I loved her openness in sharing her vulnerabilities.

Couragous. But then we've always known she isn't lacking in that department!

Anonymous said...

I would have liked to see Sinéad on Oprah, talking about beeing bipolar. I struggle with the disease myself.