Thursday, October 01, 2026

Teenage Sex and Death At Camp Miasma Review

Well, it’s this just the perfect way to officially kick off spooky season? With lesbian horrors of perhaps the most delicious kind. I finally, finally got a chance to see “Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma” and it lived up to my already sky high expectations. Given how much I was truly thrilled by the bold. visceral storytelling of “I Saw the TV Glow,” I had been impatiently waiting. And the good news is, I loved it. And the better news is, I can’t wait to watch it again.

Gory. Gothic. Gorgeous. Gay as hell. And Gillian Anderson! What more could a gal want? Jane Schoenbrun has proven to be a filmmaker of singular and extraordinary vision. Their films weave complex allegories about society and sexuality together, shaped through the lens of nostalgia, while being both sumptuous and hilarious.

With Camp Miasma, we’re treated to the delights of watching Gillian Anderson and Hannah Einbinder be both campy and real, in equal measures. The former plays the faux slasher franchise’s original final girl turned reclusive Norma Desmond type and the latter is the young filmmaker tasked with rebooting the series. But, really, the less you know about this movie the better.

And this is coming from someone who doesn’t even like horror! But, I do love a smart, sexy, weird movie. And Camp Miasma is that, and funny, and scary, and sexy, and trippy and real. And just really damn good. Just, um, don’t be squeamish about blood. Or dipping sauces.

No comments: