Friday, June 19, 2009

My Weekend Crush

I love smart gals. I love funny gals. And I really love wicked gals. So when you find a wickedly smart, funny gal, well, swoon. Ana Marie Cox is all three served up with the best smirk in the business. The snarky journalist extraordinaire, political junkie and frequent Rachel Maddow flirter contributor has brought a refreshingly bold brand of reporting to the political arena. Equal parts policy, personality, passion and pubescent delight in sex jokes, Ana Marie is the kind of gal you’d love to have a beer, or six, with. She is unfailingly witty, unquestionably knowledgeable and unexpectedly fluent in the language of LOLcats. The former Wonkette editor made her bones in new media and continually connects with her audience through her blog, Twitter account and accompanying Twitpic stream. The Air America correspondent also writes for The Daily Beast and just started as a contributing editor and political columnist at Playboy.

Ana Marie is a pioneer in the new journalism that turns the messenger into a person, not just a byline. Sure, I don’t think Edward R. Murrow would have ever updated his viewers on his pants status or bed head situation. But in this age of the overshare, we want to make personal connections with even our news media. You don’t have to like a reporter to trust that what she tells you is true, but it also doesn’t hurt. And there is so much to like about Ana Marie. Her love of making Rachel blush. Her soft spot for all creatures great and small. Her proper employment of the term ZOMG. Her propensity for posting pictures of herself in bed all rumpled and delicious (for the love of ginger, click those). And her hair, her seriously lesbian hair. Oh, Ana Marie. If you were a gay lady, you’d give Rachel a run for her money with the lesbians. As is, you’re already getting us all to read Playboy “for the articles.” Happy weekend, all.

15 comments:

Nelfy said...

OMG! *YAY* Now I know why you you were so excited about this post. I love Ana Marie Cox! She's one of my favorite people to guest on The Rachel Show and I absolutely love her Tweets. You already summed up all the reasons why we love her, so I'll just say: Amen, sister!

ToonCat said...

What a fabulous Weekend Crush Ms Snarker! She's my newest everyday crush - Wifey jokes that I tell her at least one AMC anecdote a day. But with such fabulous bedhead how can she not be talked about?

ZOMG indeed!

Motozulli said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

e said...

How can she not be gay?!?!1!

nika said...

You, Ms. Snarker, are awesome. Thank you.

Stacy said...

Bedhead and Pants have never been such a turn-on. News became a secondary reason to follow amc on twitter. She's so entertaining with everything and truly, as you said, if (only) she were gay...

Norma Desmond said...

Seriously. Could her hair be any gayer? Mine has never even considered being that gay... ever. :P

Avory said...

Yes!!! Seconded enthusiastically. I was kind of surprised the first time I saw her on Maddow, Googled, and found out about the hubbie, but hey, sexual orientation need be no barrier to girlcrushes. They're just so smart and funny together (Ana and Rachel that is), both so nerdy, and I love how Ana likes to sneak in the dirtier or snarkier comments that Rachel can't quite make first, but is clearly chuckling at on the inside. See, e.g., comment the other night about how at least the Ensign thing shows that a Republican can, in fact, get laid in this day and age. I've just started getting more into Twitter as well since the whole Iran thing, and I really enjoy reading her tweets. If anyone knows any other great twitterers I should be following, definitely let me know @peachy_penumbra :-)

txvoodoo said...

I second this entire post :) YAY AMC!

Unknown said...

Excellent choice! Yay! My heart was zooming as AMC came into view. I love her and Rachel together; my two biggest girl crushes right there on my screen! OK, I'll back away from the exclamation points now. But . . . thank you!

Hanna said...

Oh, I am so in love with her!!! Thank you for devoting the "weekend crush" to her! Swoon...

stephanie b said...

I have a serious crush on Ana Marie Cox (The cheekbones! You didn't mention the cheekbones!), but Playboy? Really? Grimace.

Chrissy89 said...

Omg I love Ana Marie Cox so much! And you perfectly highlighted all the reasons why. You've probably seen these videos but just in case you haven't check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2CdhuVXUto&feature=channel_page

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwWloljpTpI&feature=channel_page

Kate LaFrance said...

I started Googling her madly after I first saw her on Maddow too. She really has that certain something ...

Beth said...

Yes! I love Anna Marie Cox. My fave moments so far with Rachel were the "tea bag" interviews. Wow. TV does not get better than that.