Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Purple Pride

People have criticized the “It Gets Better” project. They say it’s idle words and cold comfort for kids who are hurting now. But it’s much more than that. It’s a community coming together for a community that isn’t always easy to find when you’re new. It’s a community showing those who are just realizing who they are what it looks like to finally figure it out fully. It’s a community reassuring each other that, yes, we have all been there and, yes, it does really get better.

It’s also those who support our community showing us what it means to be an ally. Yesterday, our biggest straight ally to date stepped in to the conversation. Our Secretary of State Hillary Clinton released an “It Gets Better” video. Before you watch, I want you to think about the magnitude and significance of this – a sitting Secretary of State filming a message of support intended specifically for GLBT youth. That’s a powerful message from someone with real power.

Oh, Hillary. Just when I think I couldn’t possibly love you more.

Today is also Spirit Day, a day to remember GLBT youth who have tragically taken their lives and rally to end anti-gay bullying. I admit, I’m not wearing purple. I wore my one purple shirt to work on Monday and, alas, do not own another. (It was my high school color, and no one wants to be reminded too much of the days when you were forced to look like a grape while dealing with acne and adolescence.) But I’ve changed my Twitter profile for the day. And I know each time I think about Hillary’s support, I’ll swell with purple pride. It does get better, and it will because so many people – like Hillary, like everyone else who has recorded a video – care enough to make sure it does.

19 comments:

Norma Desmond said...

I'm definitely right there with you about loving her. Always have, always will. And it thrills me that she continues to be an inspiration and speak out about what she knows is right. Should she ever decide to run again, well, she'll have my vote again.

Nox said...

slight typo before the vid, GLBY instead of GLBT ;)

Emily Paull said...

Amazing stuff. I didn't wear purple today either, but because it's spirit day, I'd just like to say that this year I've tried to be more sensitive and supportive to people who are different from me, and the world is a better place for me to be for it.

Dawn said...

I also wore my purple shirt on Monday. And then I came home to all of the reminders for today/Wednesday. Nice to know I was not alone.

Cuentista said...

This was truly moving. Go Hillary!
We're having the worst storm about lgtb-rights here in Finland. The leaders of Christian Democrats are publicly conducting a sort of witch hunt against the gay community, preaching that the Bible doesn't approve homosexuality and we shouldn't be bringing up children, because we are harming them mentally and physically. It's a war going on. Couple gay men were assaulted few nights ago, when leaving a gay bar and I believe it's only a beginning.. Something bad will happen soon, if the main leaders do not wake up to this reality. This is why Hillary's video felt really moving to me..

Anonymous said...

I think the most important lesson to be learned from the It Gets Better project is that when our kids are threatened not only will the GLBT community step up and mobilize but our allies in the straight community will be standing by our side. Now that's some serious Mama Grizzly action Ms Palin!

Ali said...

Totally just retweeted this. This is huge. It's one thing if Dan Savage does it, but this is a giant reminder not to turn away our straight allies. It's nice to see someone very privileged with power using it to the GLBT community's advantage.

I mean...we can also hope that she secretly plays for Friends of Dorothy. :0) But that's beside the point.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Miss J said...

More and more national and world leaders need to speak openly about this, this is not just a US issue and it's more prevalent in many less-accepting countries whose leaders claim to be more modern and open minded but refuse to rock the boat by supporting their own GLBT communities.

I forgot about Purple day until I read this, but ironically chose a purple shirt, yay me!

Kathryn said...

Love Hillary, love this video, will be teaching in a rainbow scarf today.

Unknown said...

Oh Hillary
You are most definately quite the role model for women everywhere, a true inspiration.
and Ms. Snarker, thank you for changing you pic, it does a lot for us <3
thank you

Anonymous said...

Just changed from a red shirt to a purple one. Hillary Clinton is just awesome!

Amanda said...

My college has a great film school, we didn't waste this opportunity to try and share this message of hope. Hope is the only thing that got me through high school, and now we have people speaking up for those who need to hear some positive words for once in their life.

http://magazine.14850.com/articles/1010-it-gets-better

the video is at the bottom of the article

Purple,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

I'm more an Obama person but Hillary is super-awesome right now for me.

I don't think the "It Gets Better" project is empty words. The more allies and gays we have saying this will speak to thousands of closetted teens who may have no else to speak to

Phighter of Pharmaceutical Propaganda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LizC said...

I spent a good part of last evening trying to scrounge up a purple top and finally found one, which I word today. If I owned a purple shirt that I wore regularly, I'd like to think the fact that I might have worn it on Monday wouldn't have precluded me from doing it again on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

I am a high school teacher in an urban high school. Today many teachers and students (both GLBT and straight) wore purple. It was awesome to see such a large response among high school-aged kids.

Anonymous said...

True to her words, she wore purple today as documented by Official White House photographer Pete Souza: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/5099483883/

Anonymous said...

Hillary(!) Can you imagine ANY repub/tea baggin' public figure standing up to SAY anything like this??? Can anyone imagine ANY other highrankin' WH staff participating in Dan and Terry's brilliant project? I'm not really that fond of many of the 'celebrity' additions to "it gets better" undertaking, but this (the f*ckin' Sec of State) is what so many of US have been waiting for- damn - dare we call it by another name? maybe LEADERSHIP?!?

THANK YOU Sec. Clinton!

Ellen said...

You know that President Obama has recorded an "It Gets Better" clip now, too?