Friday, January 15, 2010

My Weekend Crush

Back when I first saw Marlee Matlin in “Children of a Lesser God,” I remember being impressed. How could you not be? In her film debut she pretty much blew the doors off in a raw yet vulnerable performance that earned her an Oscar at the age of only 21. Through the years she has worked steadily. She had her own TV series for two seasons, “Reasonable Doubts,” and regular roles on “Picket Fences,” “The West Wing” and – of course – “The L Word.” While at times Jodi Lerner was a difficult character to like (like all of the sixth season), Marlee is immediately likable. Energetic, passionate and resolute, she has a positive outlook that can be infectious. Marlee reminds us that our limitations are not our limits. Yes, a deaf actress can go on “Dancing with the Stars” and not just do well, but be impressive. Marlee also continues to champion causes she believes in from The Children Affected by Aids Foundation to Red Cross (which she has been promoting heavily along with other relief efforts for Haiti on her Twitter feed). All that and she got to make out with Jennifer Beals. Like I was saying, impressive. Happy weekend, all.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to mention her surprise appearance on "Seth & Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show". Classic!

Amanda said...

I saw the Fourth Season L Word premiere in New York, and Jennifer Beals was there with Marlee Matlin. Beals said that they'd been friends since they were kids, and Matlin bragged that she got to kiss Jennifer Beals... *drool*

Avory said...

YES.

She's my favorite actress. I fell in love with her as Joey Lucas on the West Wing, then literally fell out of my chair when she showed up on the L-Word and suggested shotgunning with Bette. Loved her on DWTS, admire her activism so much, and it's part of why I started studying ASL. Her book is also really interesting, beyond the tell-all-y bits.

Erika said...

Marlee Matlin is my all-the-time crush. Especially loved her in The West Wing. (And, of course, The L Word.)

cheyenne said...

Marlee Matlin is a woman and an amazing actress with huge talent has the height of her heart
I am a fan of your fantastic blog thank you and take care of you!
friendship to France
Cheyenne

FASTTCR said...

Thank you. : )

January said...

I confess I was hoping for a mash note to Olivia Williams, she of the extraordinary talent and dangerous sexiness, but I suppose hope remains as there is one Dollhouse night left to us (hint so broad it could have sunk the Andrea Doria) and Ms. Matlin is as the kids say, the bomb.

pebbles said...

I just wanted to bring your attention to the following:

KING LATIFAH
http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/43046858.html

JILLIAN MICHAELS JOINS THE DARK SIDE
http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/43029801.html