Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hey, four eyes

Am I the only one who totally geeked out about Rachel Maddow recently debuting her new blue glasses? I can’t be, surely. In fact I know I’m not. But my geeking out over her new, blue Clark Kent look comes in part because earlier this month I took on my own new, blue Clark Kent look. And now I’m little worried that people will think I’m pulling a Maddow. Not that there is anything wrong with that, clearly. But I’d also like people to think I do – every now and then (usually then) – actually have an original thought in my head. The good news is my new glasses have a few very important distinctions from Rachel’s.

First, I wear my glasses less than her – just mostly around the house, when running errands, being lazy and feeling incapable of poking myself in the eye with my contacts. Second, mine are metal frames – I can’t wear the big, bulky plastic ones. Actually, I’ve kind of been going back and forth with my choice of frames. Too nerdy? Too 1950s high school principal? Too look up in the sky, it’s a bird, it’s a plane?

Well crap, I might as well let you weigh in:

But what I really think Rachel has done is help me finally make peace with my purchase. (No one here needs to be told she is “the new sexy,” as dubbed by The Village Voice.) My glasses are just nerdy and just hot enough. Who knows, with pride coming up this weekend, maybe I can even get a little of Maddow’s smart-girl magnet charm to rub off on me. (Yes, that’s Ana Marie Cox and Rachel making lesbian hearts everywhere go pitter-patter over the weekend).

Plus, I’ve got one more thing over Maddow for sure in the glasses department. I actually can take off my glasses, shake out my hair and say, “Do you know what the penalty is for an overdue book?

22 comments:

;)) babs said...

god, I love nerdy girls with glasses, they look so sexy and smart!

and they always remind me of dorothy malone in the bookshop-scene with bogart in "the big sleep".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2BU8-7kQLI

;)) babs

Anonymous said...

i love your glasses! especially because they're just like mine! are they the modo frames? i picked mine up in the castro.

and hell yes for pride, emily, and hot blue glasses!

Anonymous said...

I love Rachel's look in that picture with AMC...kind of "Ana, for the 3rd time, get your hand off my ass. Let's hurry up and take this picture before people see you all over me and I have to explain to Susan," And AMC's all druuunk.

Anonymous said...

awwww i love rachel. haha but in all pictures she really seems to be wearing that black shirt!!

http://uoma.tumblr.com/post/72197787/open-maddow-fashion-letter

Vikki said...

Your glasses look great! Dare I say that I'm not so sure about Rachel's blue specs? I really liked her in the black ones.

tlsintx said...

...wonder when we'll get a pic of Snarker's face...with her blue glasses on...

TheWeyrd1 said...

SNORT...

Anonymous said...

your glasses are very different from rachel and you shouldnt worry about being labeled a Maddow puller. Unless you want to. And then you'd have to do something different than wear blue glasses.

Queers United said...

she did this on the set? i haven't seen these glasses on the rachel maddow show.

http://queersunited.blogspot.com

justbreathe said...

I've had my small plastic blue frame glasses for a couple of years now, I too think I'm original now and then.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my....!!!
The picture of anna & rachel... Whoaw!
They look like a great couple - I know Rachel
is completely loyal to her woman, but ...
the thoughts going through my mind about
those two... better than a movie.
Thanks, Ms. Snarker!!!

@laura_luna said...

Oh LAWD! Thanks for this post! I love Maddow's new glasses! And that pic of her and her 'sidekick' *swoon* made me totally drool on twitter this weekend!

J9 said...

Good God Ms. Snarker You actually made me blush and I am finding it difficult to swallow after that image of you as a stern librarian!
It's always the quiet ones...

Josephine said...

Wow, my sister had blue plastic glasses just like those in 6th grade, about 20 years ago!

Anonymous said...

Love the frames, Dorothy! I'm not such a fan of Rachel's. I'm sure they'll grow on me.

Anonymous said...

LOL

I have such a GEEK-CRUSH on this woman!

Anonymous said...

I like your glasses, but they're far too stylish to just wear around the house and rarely out. Wear 'em, baby! I bet they look darn foxy.

Anonymous said...

yikes! do you have the same frames??? love them!

Anonymous said...

ouch. rachel, your glasses are ghastly. they look like bad coke bottle lenses. your nose looks bigger because they draw attention to your face which also makes your neck look even thicker than it probably is. you remind me of a cartoon character. may i suggest that you get some lasik? and fire your stylist.

Anonymous said...

Who makes those blue glasses, does someone have the model name?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the blue frames Rchel is wearing...tell us the brand and where we can purchase them...she's a trendsetter for sure!!!

Nanana said...

My girlfriend has the exact same glasses as you. I think they are super sexy. Unfortunately she just went to the eye doctor recently and was told that she doesn't actually need to wear glasses at all! Which means I haven't gotten to see her in her sexy glasses again.

Rock on and carry the sexy glasses torch in her honor!