Thursday, June 18, 2009

Don’t stop...

Alright. So, I’m not even going to set this up. I’m just going to let you hit play, wait 4 minutes and 15 seconds and then we’ll discuss. The only thing I will tell you is that there will be Journey, so headphones on if you’re around people opposed to rocking out.


Sooooooo. Yeah. That was. Yeah. I really have no idea whether I’m more amused or bemused by Ellen Page, singer Har Mar Superstar and “Whip It” co-star Alia Shawkat getting their Journey on. The video, unearthed by Ellen Page Online [Hat tip, Hellsturner!], is dedicated to Ellen’s mom, Martha Philpotts. I have no idea its significance beyond that. Maybe Martha has a thing for arena rock anthems. Or possibly she loves “Glee.” But I will say it warms the cockles of my heart to know that even a precociously-talented, Oscar-nominated actress can be afflicted with the horror of bad video and crappy audio.

My other take-away from those 255 seconds of endearingly odd off-key emoting is that Ellen Page is just the gayest cutest thing ever. Sure, I could have done with a little (OK, a lot) less of Har Mar’s naked torso. Still I discovered I’ll sit through a lot to see Ms. Page do push-ups and lean against a wall all Jordan Catalano-like.

Also, dude, what is up with all the “Don’t Stop Believin’” love of late? I mean, sure, you can play a wicked air guitar to the number and all, but this is getting ridiculous.


So, of course, this begs the question: Which recent rendition fills you with more (yes, I’m going to say it) glee?

21 comments:

;) babs said...

WTF?

frannie said...

I am a TOTAL GLEEK so I have to say that the Glee one is my favorite. I have a thing about singing off key, it just hurts. But Ellen Page is just sooo cute!

Not to mention Lea Michelle totally reminds me of a mini Indina Menzel!

bgcartist said...

bwahahaha

Unknown said...

This is awesome. I do wonder, though, if maybe her mom is sick or going through a rough time or something. It could be something a little more profound than just her mom liking Journey or "Glee."

Eva Yaa Asantewaa said...

Very cute. That's song is the big finish to Broadway's "Rock of Ages."

the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

The Journey song was basically the only reason I watched Glee. And the off-key, off-time singing of the other one made me hurt inside. So, Glee definitely wins this round for me.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

I can't risk watching the video and getting 'Don't Stop Believin' stuck in my head again. After watching the premier of Glee that was a mighty painful week for me.
*shudder*

Steph Rankin said...

To frannie: I got the Idina Menzel vibe too!

But it's definitely Ellen Page's rendition for me. I don't care if she's out of key, she's just in tune with me. I love her, and we WILL have children no matter how biologically impossible it is. It's meant to be.

dc said...

Sweet. Even though I can't stand off-key renditions of anything, or exposure of flubby torsos, I had to chuckle at the meant-to-be silliness.

I have a lot of toleration for anything Ellen Page does :)

J9 said...

I prefer PS22's version!

Unknown said...

Oh man that was awful. i hope these two girls never get a recording deal. How could you do this Maby Fuenke?

I also thought Glee was over rated. Not that great of a show.

Lezlie Mac said...

OK, Ellen Page might be the cutest thing around, but she can't sing on cue...

And is it just me or is her outfit really really gay ?

Norma Desmond said...

GLEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

stephanie b said...

No, Ellen Page's outfit was really dykey. Hat, bandanna around the neck, graphic tee, Chucks, (kind of a) motorcycle jacket... Very very gay.

Both renditions have their charms. I could have used more Alia Shawkat and less Har Mar, but Ellen et. al. were obviously just having some good, silly fun so I forgive their being off-beat and sometimes off-key.

betsyh23 said...

Ms. Snarker,
Each day this week you have totaly outdone yourself. I say you should give yourself a break from the internets more often as each day this week your posts have exceeded my wildest expectations.
Fantastic!

tlsintx said...

i don't know. i suddenly have a new appreciation for Journey. that song must be really hard to sing.

babs said...

Ya Basta on "Don't Stop Believing." I'm done with it. I can't take it anymore. I seriously was cringing during the Rock of Ages bit on the Tonys where they're singing it.

Not that Journey.

Penny Cillin said...

Lea Mitchell totally reminds me of Idina Menzel as well! Super super HOT!

TheWeyrd1 said...

I had to turn the sound off and fast forward to the push ups...lol And then I listened to the Glee version just to get the other version out of my ears. I don't mind Ellen Page in my eyes though... No wait, bad, way too young...heh.

Loverbunny said...

This is one of my favorite songs to rock out to, especially on road trips. Last summer, I worked for the HRC doing door to door canvassing and this was a favorite among our canvassers LOL. The Glee rendition is definitely my favorite; but Ellen Page is just do damned cute!

Reverend Jane Ignatowski said...

Oh 1981, sometimes I miss you and our dirt-bike Sony [cassette tape] Walkman ways something fierce. Call me up sometime and we'll go do some nostalgia shots.

Just a city boi...