Friday, April 03, 2009

My Weekend Crush

Fifteen years is a hell of a long time. It's almost half of my life and basically all of my adult life. And during that time, there has been one constant at 10 p.m. every Thursday. That familiar, muted siren sound, followed by a simple sequence of keys was almost comforting. Admittedly, I stopped watching “ER” years ago. I can only name a few of the current cast and I have no idea where the story has taken them. (Seriously, why was Rory Gilmore there last night?) But what I do know is that when I did watch, “ER” was some damn good television.

The thing I always enjoyed about the show was that women were integrated and integral to its stories. This was not a show about men doctors telling female nurses what to do. This was a show with men and women, in all different jobs and with all different skills, working together to save lives. It was intense and almost always interesting. And, oh, the wonderful women – and even a few gay ones to boot. [Hat tip, The Linster!] I'm partial, of course, to the casts from the earlier seasons when I used to watch slavishly.

Julianna Margulies, Sherry Stringfield, Gloria Reuben, Laura Innes, Jorja Fox – now that's some talent. And then later Alex Kingston, Maria Bello, Elizabeth Mitchell, Maura Tierney, I could go on forever. What was always great about “ER” was that it showed these women in their professional setting, doing what they do best without the burden of glamour. Sure, they were all certainly above-average attractive, but that wasn't the focus. That they were good at their jobs and they were passionate about their work – this was what mattered. Their profession was never secondary, it was the point. Or, just maybe, I'm a sucker for a woman in a lab coat with a stethoscope. Thanks for 15 years, ladies. Happy weekend, all.

16 comments:

;)) babs said...

;))

what can I say, it's my girlfriends most favorite tv show ever, so I have to watch it everytime.
and we nearly always end up sobbing for this show is really drama at it's best!

my favorite time was the "kim + kerry era", because that was the time when I offivially came out and I loved the "DROP THE CHALUPA" board on the web.
it gave me an idea of the lesbian community and a sense of pride to be a part of it.

therefore ER and it's ladies will always be a part of my life...

;)) babs

00 said...

Great choice :)

Skye said...

Dr. Kerry Weaver. A long-term crush of mine. She could read me the telephone directory in that voice of hers and I would be in heaven. Mmmmhmmmm. Perhaps I'll be buying myself a coupla ER DVDs this weekend....

Lisa said...

Our dog is named "Weaver" for a reason. :-) (and it ain't about Charlie Weaver.)

Sadly, I don't think we'll see another show as good as ER. Sure, it had some ups and downs and soap opera moments, but it always recovered from those downs in a grand fashion. I won't ever understand those that dismissed it over the last several years. Abby's spiral into her active alcoholism was some of the best writing ever, and the fact that not only the writers, but that Maura Tierney has been overlooked for an Emmy is criminal.

Big Shamu said...

Big fan of the older ER, thought last night's extended review show didn't focus on the bedrock of what made the show popular. I totally agree that they had some great women major characters but also the excellent minor female characters such as Helena and Tunnie. Cap that with the great show to show guest characters.

Have to say that I had a breakup with ER when they felt the need to kill off Sandy Lopez. Was that really necessary?

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

My fave crush on the show was Maura Tierney, which kept me watching long beyond the expiration date.
I kept hoping that she and Neela would get into a pillow fight, and then their PJs would disintergrate, and the whole thing would turn into an episode of The Red Shoe Diaries that was written and filmed by Angela Robinson...but then I wake up and I have to pee.

nks said...

I was an avid watcher of the first 7/8/9 seasons... then life happened.

but as cheesy as it sounds I have to admit that the show and how they portrayed female doctors - which btw was a first as far as I remember, depicting women as successful ER doctors and surgeons - influenced my career path. for better or worse.

Deb Rox said...

Fantastic Weekend Crushes. ER was a great piece of work, and I loved watching those women work.

Anonymous said...

Oh ER! I've dropped out of it lately, but it definitely was an important show in my life - I was in Grade 9 when it started. I clearly remember being the only gilr in my class who wasn't in love with Carter but having to watch it anyway because it was all anyone ever spoke about at school! But it was ok because I soon discovered Susan.
My favourite moment ever was when Maggie, who was being whooed by Carter (who thought he was God's Gift) said, 'She's my ex.' I nearly cheered: Maggie is gay! Carter is a dickhead, hooray! However it was so breif, and even though I then became the most avid watcher of the show possible, I don't remember ANY further reference to her sexuality, and, being pre-internet, I wasn't sure for a long time if I had actually heard right. So, maybe not a GREAT moment but a special one for me.
I can't believe it's going to be over...

Susan, Carol, Abby!!

Josephine said...

I was madly in love with Julianna Margulies and later with Maura Tierney. I also quit watching about 3 years ago because it just got too grim and kind of unrealistice. But I recorded the finale and plan to watch it some time this weekend. Couldn't pass up seeing all the veterans come back.

booboox said...

whoo! Great job.

sigh, Maura Tierney...

Unknown said...

I've never seen a single episode of ER, but this post makes me want to!

-Kristin
http://lesbiandaily.blogspot.com/

MFL said...

Absolutely loved Julianna Margulies. She subsequently did What's cooking. If you haven't seen it you really should. There was the season with Elizabeth Mitchel in it. That caught my attention too

MFL
http://moviesforlesbians.blogspot.com

Couture Carrie said...

A fond farewell to a great show and a wonderful bunch of actresses!

xoxox,
CC

em for mighty said...

maura tierny--yummy. i had a love/hate relationship with the show, but she could do nothing wrong.

Nike Air Force One said...

esome