Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Gay, really gay

Welcome back, Clementine. Please sit down and make yourself comfortable. Seriously, you're giving me whiplash, girl. So Clementine Ford is officially out. And, yes, she has filed all the requisite paperwork and has already receive her complimentary toaster oven. As she told The Advocate: “Look, I am gay, and I just wanted there not to be this big emphasis on it.” Wouldn't we all, Clementine, wouldn't we all.

The interview went into intricate detail (seriously, is this The Advocate or Soap Opera Digest?) about Clementine's role on “The Young & the Restless,” which starts today. But it also cleared the air on the whole Diva vs. TV Guide vs. clarity smackdown Clementine's words were seemingly having with each other. From The Advocate:
Q: Let’s clear the air on the interview that ran recently with Diva magazine, in which the cover read “Clementine Ford Comes Out.” In the piece, it sort of intimated you came out and that you had an affair with your costar of The L Word, Kate Moennig. Then you did an interview with TV Guide magazine where you attempted to clarify. It sort of has given you some pushback from fans. Can you tell us what happened?
A: It’s funny. I was having kind of a rough day. My best friend sent me a text saying, “You have to see this.” So I went online to see this link and I read the comments and I go, “They hate me!” When I did the TV Guide interview I was angry because there is the whole perception now that I came out and I went back in. And what upset me was, I felt that because I did not "come out" in that interview, I felt it was unfair to fans that bought the magazine expecting to get a tearful story that says “I’m gay.” I thought it was misleading, and now because I was upset by that cover, I am apparently back in the closet and people hate me.

Q: But can you understand how some people may have been confused when in a magazine piece you are quoted like that?
A: There are people who get it, and get what my original meaning was. Just as I was talking about story lines being a nonissue on The L Word; it should just be these people are gay and it’s part of life. I think with that article, and what came across as ambiguity, was actually my attempt at making it a nonissue. Look, I am gay, and I just wanted there not to be this big emphasis on it.

So, pretty much, Clementine is gay and wants it to be OK. Which is OK with me. We all want it to be OK, a nonissue, just part of life. And, thankfully, the more that folks like Clementine and others come out, the more it will be OK, a nonissue, just part of life. Welcome to the family, honey. Enjoy the toast.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Clem for clearing the air! We're so starved for representation that we get so upset by this. It's sad, but true...

Anonymous said...

"that we get so upset by this."

By this, I meant backpedaling, ambiguity.

Collins said...

michael fairman is amazing. and, yes, he is a soap reporter, but he also promotes GLBT visibility in all forms of media- most specifically daytime serials.

so the article may have been a little heavy on Young & the Restless content, but that's what he does. his recent interviews with crystal chappell and jessica leccia (from Guiding Light) and tamara braun (from All My Children) addressing GLBT visibility in the soap world have been quite good. it seems to me, daytime is the only place we are getting even the slightest bit of representation in scripted television.

pyewacket said...

I congratulated and celebrated the moment she voiced - in her own words (for the most part) - that she was other than straight. I got what Diva wanted to do (um, sell magazines) and how they spun things (and used her) to do it. And I get why she was upset because none of the content seemed like it was her intent to come OUT like Ellen did and Neil Patrick Harris and a few other guys were forced to.

When she did the TV Guide interview, I could not condemn. Because even though many people would like it to be an either or...gay or straight world...there are just too many of us who are shades of gray.

So now I hope everyone feels better...Clementine...and those who were so quick to throw stones. Though I was a bit suprised by the rush to judgment because I thought by now us public was aware of the fact that if you cannot control how you are quoted...and nowdays where it is all about the drama (I miss the days when it was all about the nookie) once it comes out of your mouth, all you can do is cross your fingers and hope.

I think examples like this is the reason why so many in the spotlight have their own blogs and are on twitter now...though some of them really really need a filter of a sort between themselves and the general public.

And maybe some day the faceless general public with the fake names on the net will remember that their words in the comment section are no longer some obscure rant on an unnoticed blog or site and that those they wag their collective finger at can also access and read the net...and are as human with feelings...as you sometimes are.

Anonymous said...

She's in, she's out ?? I said this before I'll say it again it IS a non issue.

I like her I don't care who she sleeps with and if she and Kate had a little tryst - well that IS SO KOOL!! If not oh well..

Green with envy...

It just seems with all the sht going on in the world we sure don't need to treat each other badly. Geese things are screwed up enough.

Anonymous said...

Nice to have her on the team!

And toast is my favorite food.

Anonymous said...

Aw Clementine. She never intended to "come out" in the first place. I really agree with pyewacket's comment.

The only thing left for now, is that I really hope she secretly slept with Kate. If anyone comes that close, I hope, for their sake, they got some. haha

justbreathe said...

Is this your April Fool's column Ms. Snark? You wouldn't do that to us would you?

Anonymous said...

So the bit about Clementine having a "thing" with Kate Moenning was true ? Or libelous ?

J9 said...

Oh for fuck's sake! I just wish people were not so obsessed with other people liking or hating them. Seriously! The celebrity world hinges so much om tiny little transgressions, silly little statements and all blown way out of proportion. I still adore Clementine, and think that the emphasis on anyone's bedroon life is a sad statement on our culture.

long beach kelster said...

I am so excited that it is official. Thx for sharing DS!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Clem! Welcome to our side.

Anonymous said...

Good for her. She's honest and she's not being a faux bisexual like certain Hollywood actresses.

Anonymous said...

I'll believe it on April 2nd.

Morcegos no Sótão said...

Hope you're regretting being harsh on Clem when she "sorta got back in the closet". ;) People are what they are and what magazines say... Well, it's never to be taken too seriously.

MJNuts

Anonymous said...

This makes me so happy.

Penny Cillin said...

Whatev. She's hot and funny, that's why I like her. But, Go Team Gay! Our roster just keeps getting better and better.

Barbara said...

Cheers! Great to have you sweetheart! The gay community is growing up well, no doubt.

Anonymous said...

Will ever some Nobel prize winner "come out"? It's nice to hear about the celebrities, but...