Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Which Month Matters

So I don’t think this movie is gay, but it’s from writer-director Todd Haynes (of “Carol” and “Far From Heaven” and “Velvet Goldmine” queer fame) and stars Julianne Moore (of “The Kids Are All Right” and “Chloe” and “Freeheld” queer fame) and Natalie Portman (of “Black Swan” queer fame). So…like something has to be gay in this movie, right? The story follows an actress (Natalie) who shadows the couple behind the scandalous (and, uh, illegal) May-December relationship of older woman (Julianne) and younger man (“Riverdale” star Charles Melton) in order to portray her in an upcoming film. The movie is loosely based on real-life teacher Mary Kay Letourneau and her student Vili Fualaau’s relationship/child abuse. Todd Haynes’s work is always interesting and provocative and extremely well done, and Jullianne and Natalie’s work is also often interesting and provocative and extremely well done. So, yeah, with or without gay stuff, I’m gonna Netflix and chill with this in the near future. (But, really chill — except about the fact that that’s child abuse, not a relationship.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope. Let’s be clear - it’s sexual abuse and manipulation! If gender was reversed, your writing would be different and a hellbent message. And now this is a glorified, commercialized account from actresses to gain sensationalized notoriety.

Anonymous said...

“ Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country”

Good. I have zero interest in whatever this film is called and a bit disappointed that you are shilling for such subject matter and somehow conflating it as ‘lesbian interest’.

Really DS?

Anonymous said...

I had the chance to watch an advanced screening at the Zurich Film Festival and to be honest, this film left me with a "wtf did I just watch" vibe. Not worth it and I also thought I picked up some queer vibes up beforehand from the movie description it was absolutely very straight and also kinda weird? This whole movie left me scratching my head and kept me thinking "who approved this?". I just kinda think at this stage if Haynes comes up with an idea no-one else is gonna disagree with him, no matter how stupid-strange the story.