Friday, November 11, 2011

My Weekend Crush

Clearly, I’ve had Adele on the brain the last 24 hours. And it seems so cliché to say you love Adele, because everyone loves Adele. Women, men, vertebrates, invertebrates, inanimate objects, imaginary friends. It’s impossible to not be awed by her voice. It’s criminal not to be moved by her emotions. Also that chin dimple? I fucking love that chin dimple. I really think Adele is one of the most beautiful women in music – not just her spectacular face, not just her spunky personality, not just her sublime voice (though sweet merciful Zeus, her voice), but her sane attitude about her art and self. She’s so refreshingly herself, so very outside of the corporate expectations of what a successful singer looks like in this day and age.

As Adele said herself in her Rolling Stone cover story earlier this year:
“My life is full of drama, and I don’t have time to worry about something as petty as what I look like… I don’t like going to the gym. I like eating fine foods and drinking nice wine. Even if I had a really good figure, I don’t think I’d get my tits and ass out for no one. I love seeing Lady Gaga’s boobs and bum. I love seeing Katy Perry’s boobs and bum. Love it. But that’s not what my music is about. I don’t make music for eyes, I make music for ears.”

Adele is gorgeous, and in a way that reminds you talent just needs a stage and a spotlight to shine. There’s nothing wrong with letting it all hang out, so to speak. But we also need to see it’s possible without the tits and ass. Talent is just talents. It doesn’t need any additional adornment to transport you someplace at once outside yourself and intensely personal. Also, there is no better therapy than singing at top volume in the car to Adele. “Someone Like You” in particular has saved me thousands in shrink fees. Happy weekend, all.

12 comments:

Norma Desmond said...

I find Adele to be insanely beautiful. And then adding that voice into the mix? *DEAD*

shade said...

"Rolling in the deep" was her first song I heard and I was a fan. Beautiful voice! What sealed the deal was a doccubus fanvideo with "Set fire to the rain" as the soundtrack. *hangs head in shame* I know, hopeless case right? ;) Hope she rests her voice. wish her a speedy recovery.

Bent said...

"....I make music for ears". That's classic. I appreciate that so much about her, and still I can't take my eyes off her when she is in view. Stunningly beautiful woman.
Now, could we perhaps hear her sing with Joss Stone?
I too wish Adele a speedy recovery and much love.

vrgriffith said...

DS

You have Tina Fey. I have Adele. Stop being so greedy! The really refreshing thing about her is her great body image. She doesn't seem to be wrestling with issues involving her weight. And if she did in the past, she come out on the side of angels! Think about what the record co. put Ann Wilson, of Heart, through.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Vale said...

I love Adele. I love her voice and I think she's beautiful as well. But there's one thing I think about when I think about her, and it's something that my sister once said to me. She told me "She's good, but watching her live is kind of horrible because she sweats SO MUCH and it's kind of disgusting" and I was like "Wtf? where did that even come from?". but what is heard cannot be unheard and so that's what I think about....

alex dumas said...

She is beautiful. And her voice is beautiful. I wish she wouldn't smoke - it might hurt those golden vocal chords.

J9 said...

Ms. Snarker - thank-you for this. As I am in the process of extracting from a 20+ year relationship, I think this will help me own my sadness and finally get through the pain. It put a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes - and that is what I need right now.

Anonymous said...

Every once in a while, someone comes along, and suddenly you realize there has to be a higher being...I'm really not invoking religion when I say that...there just isn't any other explanation for the supremely magical purity that emerges fom her voice. I feel lucky that my time here aligned with hers...my appreciation for music is enriched by listening to her and her words...it must have been similar to listen to Mozart or Beethoven...

Fare well, Adele! To a speedy return to good health.

And thank you for posting that video DS!

nallus said...

She's one helluva laday! Love her version of Bob Dylan's "Make you feel my love".

Liplicker said...

She is fucking gorgeous, and I am so excited/interested that her music is on mainstream radio stations that usually play party music. What is that about? "Mainstream" usually doesn't like anything that's not skinny even if it is for ears. Is it progress or is it a passing moment?

LiteraryVice432 said...

I do adore her accent. I knew she was British before I heard her speak but I was expecting someone with a much more "posh" accent. I love that she's not. Her singing has so much soul that hearing her near-cockney accent is ridiculous and joyful. It makes her come off as so much more normal/down to earth/unassuming. Did you see her on Graham Norton? I rest my case.

babybutch said...

The thing is she has a really good figure too. Not that it is what matters, but she does. She is gorgeous.