Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dinner and a movie

As soon as that crisp comes into the air, I think of two things. One, how much of a pain in the ass it will be to have to travel during the holidays. I mean, really, airports at Christmas are the least merry places on Earth. And then the second, is what movies are going to make me run out to a theater near me soon. All the trailers for the big Serious Oscar Contenders start to roll out. And then the super advance trailers for next summer’s blockbusters muscle in as well. It hasn’t been a great movie year for me so far. I mean, I’ve seen some I liked (Harry Potter, I really liked Harry Potter – along with the rest of the planet), but not really that many. A few trailers for upcoming films have already caught my eye, like “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” and “Albert Nobbs.” So now it’s time to look at some more films coming up soon (or soon-ish) with great female leads that look worthy a $23 tub of popcorn.

Pariah (December 2011, limited)

God, I hope this movie gets a wider release. I really, really do.

The Iron Lady (December 2011)

Not because of Thatcher, all because of Streep. Also Giles (I see you, Anthony Stewart Head, I see you.)

Haywire (January 2012)

To die between mixed martial arts fighter Gina Carano’s thighs? Um, I can think of worse ways to go.

The Hunger Games (March 2012)

OK, OK. I’m convinced. Bring on the dystopia and bows and arrows.

Snow White and the Huntsman (June 2012)

Yes, K-Stew in shining armor is nice. But make no mistake, I am seeing this movie for Charlize. Evil, succubusy, gorgeous Charlize.

Brave (June 2012)

Is it possible to be envious of an animated character’s hair? Because, I am. Also, her feisty attitude ain’t bad either.

Right. So, now the only question is do you want extra butter on your popcorn or not?

18 comments:

Elana said...

I would add the phenomenal Michelle Williams in My week with Marilyn.

frannie said...

I want to go to the movies with you! Let's do THIS!!!

Lucy Hallowell said...

I look forward to my daughters being big enough to go to Brave-what's not to like about a tale of a feisty Scottish lass, kicking ass?

Also Emma Thompson is perfection.

Bali Movie Travel said...

Some are my fav, I started thinking that we have something in common

egghead said...

" . . . extra butter on your popcorn or not?"

Butter. Yeth, please. ;)

Going to an actual theatre where one sits for 2 hours straight with holiday crowds: can't talk much, move much, stretch much, is sheer torture, yet I do it once a year at xmas with my niece who flies in from NY, specially for me, to see ME. Sacrifices. And, I let her choose the movie.

What the hell? Snow and the cute Hunter isn't out till summer? Bleh.

Anonymous said...

All thos movies looked great. Brave looks very funny.

Carmen SanDiego said...

can't wait for pariah and brave

DawnCO said...

Haywire looks fun
Brave looks inspiring
Pariah looks painful
Snow-white looks delicious

They all look appealing
Thanks

vrgriffith said...

They all look like fantastic selections. I hope the African American community will see Pariah, but my expectations aren't high. I'm going to see every film here. Really looking forward to The hunger Games.

Anonymous said...

Dammit, now I want my hair back.

egghead said...

Yeah, finally got the chance to look at all these. They are all on my list now.

Damn, if Streep doesn't resemble old lady Thatcher. Eerie.
Could be another Oscar?

And then there's Pariah. A must see, indeed. Some of those scenes are way too familiar.

Anonymous said...

Kate Beckinsale coming soon-ish in Contraband and Underworld Awakening.

Anonymous said...

OMG did you catch the orgasmic moan from Charlize after she sucks out the girl's soul?

Anonymous said...

i saw them, trailers,

I personally prefer animations.
(ahem.)

besides, i saw the snow white, too.
mirror mirror is like comical, but
the snow white is like vampire feel in it.
the music, the way they shows, so on.
little scary, but will be good for
hot summer chill i guess.

dc said...

You missed a delicious one coming up: Michelle WIlliams in My Week with Marilyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_tbnTM7zVE

dc said...

ps. Not in the least interested in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. So far the trailers and bits coming out about it sound like Lisbeth has been pacified and feminized by David Fincher, which makes me very angry.

Noomi Rapace was supreme as Lisbeth and Rooney Mara will pale in comparison.

Spanglish in Lesbilandia said...

For the first time I'll be rooting for the villainess. I mean Kristen Stewart is a lovely girl but in what alternate universe is she "fairer" than Charlize Theron? LOL

Anonymous said...

Pariah and The Iron Lady look really amazing. Meryl is always grand and Pariah looks all too real, very relatable. Future critical hits I'm assured.

I guess I'll have these to watch when the American "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" bombs. Seriously just watch the Norwegian version - so much better.