Thursday, August 04, 2011

Just my type

Hayley Atwell

I’ve never really been the kind of person to have a “type.” I like the infinite variations and unique particularities that makes each woman so different and so delightful. Red hair. Blonde hair. Pale skin. Mahogany skin. Green eyes. Brown eyes. Why choose just one when you can have the rainbow? But it seems, at least for the time being, I’m going through a very definite phase. I can’t tell if it’s one of these, well, passing things. Or if it’s here for good. Because right now I’m in a serious dark-haired, impossibly cheekboned, deliciously accented women of the United Kingdom phase. I’m not entirely sure how this phase got started. I mean, we all dabble in college. But it’s safe to say my phase is now a full-blown obsession. It seems every new star I’ve developed quick, complete crushes on of late has been one of these dark-haired, impossibly cheekboned, deliciously accented women of the UK. While I’ve already confessed at length to my Anglophia before, this is a very specific kind of Anglophilia. So while I still am reluctant to say I have a type, I’ll admit that the next dark-haired, impossibly cheekboned, deliciously accented woman of the UK who walks my way will definitely get a head swivel. And then some.

Hayley AtwellI had absolutely no interest in seeing “Captain America.” And then, Hayley happened. She is also, you might remember, the actress Emma Thompson almost got in a row with producers about because they wanted her to lose weight. Anytime Emma Thompson almost comes to fisticuffs over you, well, you know you’re something special.

Heather PeaceHot cop is hot. End of discussion.

Katie McGrathI cannot even put into words how attractive I find Katie. I almost have to stop myself from stroking the screen each time I see her. I just want to touch her face. And, um, possibly other stuff.

Pippa MiddletonI know, I know. Laugh if you must. But once I saw Hot Sister in That Dress at The Wedding, I was a goner. Because, while I am also not a butt girl either, dayum.

Marsha ThomasonThey should give Marsha more occasion to use her real accent on White Collar. They must.

Lara PulverShe played Sookie’s fairy godmother (yes, really, her fairy godmother) on “True Blood.” I can’t be the only one who thinks she looks like a dark-haired Jodie Foster, right?

Lena HeadeyClearly, Lena is not a new girl crush for me. But my God, her face – her magnificent, magnificent face.

I take everything back. Lena is my type. Exactly, totally, 100 percent my type. So, you know, dibs.

p.s. Keep in mind, kittens, these are all new or newish crushes (with the exception of permanent crush, Lena). I have so, so many long-standing crushes on other dark-haired, impossibly cheekboned, deliciously accented women of the UK. So many.

30 comments:

BioGal said...

Please may I suggest an addendum? Eve Myles.

1. She was superhot in the last Torchwood episode: all gussied up and business-like.
Example: http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Torchwood+S181+3.jpg

2. She has a fab accent, spreading the love for my home country, which is marvellous!

;) babs said...

what about Emily Blunt?

maddyzero said...

My God. I need to watch everything with Hayley Atwell immediately.

Anonymous said...

Caught a few old eps of Robin Hood recently. Wondered who the dish was. Lara Pulver :) I agree about the Jodie Foster similarities.

Anonymous said...

I like your selection, specially Lena and Heather, but I would have added the gorgeous Jaime Murray, oh, how I love that face.

Anonymous said...

Rachel Shelley hands down!

soapbox said...

FUCK YES HAELEY ATWELL. She firsT caught my attention in the Duchess and then again in Pillars of the Earth.. she is fantastic.. and gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I'm with anonymous above, no Jaime Murray? Goddess, does she fit all those criteria, impossibly cheek-boned, those amazing eyes of her, and that hair, OMG that thick dark hair. *swoon*

Emily said...

KATIE FRICKIN MCGRATH. That woman is perfection embodied. She is definitely my type, all the way. I'm a sucker for dark hair, pale skin and blue/green eyes. And accents. And she's Irish, which means her accent is that much cuter.

Pippa <3

And I completely agree about Hayley Atwell. Girl, where have you been all these years?

the pants said...

Rhona (too effing hot for words) Mitra...'nuff said

Carmen SanDiego said...

So I got all excited thinking I had a shot with Snarker, after all I am "dark-haired, impossibly cheekboned, deliciously accented women" and when I was about to introduce myself came "of the UK"
Oh well, maybe next time... ;)

Krizia said...

*cough* Jaime Murray as HG Wells on Warehouse 13 *cough*

I fully embrace my Anglophilia as well :)

Helen said...

No Nigella? Really? Hot. Cooks. Is deliciously filthy.

Kaisa said...

Mmmmm Katie McGrath. She's like the perfect mix of Keira Knightley (lovely, but much too thin for me) and Rachel Weisz (gorgeous) with an Irish accent thrown in for good measure...

Terri said...

Hayley Atwell is awesome! She looked absolutely delicious in her 40s get up in Captain America

catpowernap said...

Just my type too! Luckily I live in the UK and get to share my life and love with a variety of English accented ladies! I myself have the dark hair and accent, the cheekbones maybe not so much :)

Kadomi said...

If you are talking about lovely women from the UK, you cannot miss out on Sophie Ellis-Bextor. Of all the celebrities in the world, she's my dream woman. Those cheekbones. Those eyes. Someone pass me the smelling salts.

Also, she loves the gays and performs in their clubs a lot, so I must love her. Have you heard her voice? That lovely, husky voice?

If you haven't heard her sing live, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FXXUlL5zHU

Who needs autotune? I am fangirling so hard.

rachel's life. said...

I love them all. All. Especially Heather and Lena. WOWZA.

Anonymous said...

I second the Rhona Mitra suggestion...those lips...dayum!

Michelle said...

I will wrestle the lot of you for Lena. ;)

tlsintx said...

oh i see i have my work cut out for me on fighting for Lena....step up all you girls! she's mine.

Anonymous said...

Just watched Lena Headey as Young Mary in 1992 movie Waterland. Warning: dark story. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105790/ Lena is young and gorgeous and incredibly accomplished in what is listed as her first movie role. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0372176/

Jamie said...

Very nice list. But good luck to all of you who love Lena... 'cause she is So mine!!! Let the smack down begin! Bring it! ; ) Ha-ha!!!

Solo said...

Totally my type too!

Well as you were watching Captain America anyway... Natalie Dormer! Right? I mean she's blonde in that film, but series 2 of The Tudors. Oh.My.Days.

Meg said...

For second, I thought it WAS Jodie Foster (whom I LOVE! - in a I really love her work kind of way). Definitely looks like it could be her almost twin.

Emily said...

How could you possibly leave the immaculate Kate Beckinsale off this list? One of my favorite Brits, hands down. Can't believe I forgot about her.

Anonymous said...

Where's Ruta Gedmintas?

Alice Bluegown said...

I'll see your Lena Headey & raise you one Shelly Conn, especially in 'Nina's Heavenly Delights'...

Charli said...

Holy cow. We have the same type! That picture of Hayley Atwell is what I love in women. And I don't know this Katie McGrath but I might need to now.

I've loved Hayley ever since I saw her in Brideshead Revisited. I bought the movie because of her.

And though she's not british, my other perfect woman is Carla Gugino. Yeah, I love dark-haired women with nice curves. Is that wrong?

Anonymous said...

"I can’t be the only one who thinks she looks like a dark-haired Jodie Foster, right?" - exactly!

Today I saw her the first time and I am very impressed! She is beautiful. And Jodie too)))

Olga Dmit, from Moscow