Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Rey of Hope

Turns out, this is the “Star Wars” sequel you’re looking for.

It’s been a pretty prodigious week for me in the seeing awesome movies department. On Monday I went to see “Carol” (FINALLY) and yesterday I attended a screening of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (YAHOO). I want to take my time to truly digest and give you the luxurious “Carol” review you deserve (and since the studio is taking its damn sweet time releasing it to everyone anyway, there is no rush).

So instead let’s discuss that galaxy far, far away. I’ve leave the exuberant pontificating the critics who all posted their finally embargo-free reviews at 12:01 a.m. on the dot this morning. But what we need to talk about is Rey.

You guys, Rey is so important. And Finn is so important. And Poe is so important. This movie feels so fresh and so different, yet still so incredibly familiar. And the reason for that is because instead of continuing to offer us only the narrowly defined white male hero stories, “The Force Awakens” has diversified its cast and its champions to be more reflective of the true world around us. A young woman, a young black man, a young Latino man are all allowed to be our heroes. It seems so simple, yet is often so unattainable by Hollywood standards.

But back to Rey. Here is a “Star Wars” movie that passes the Bechdel Test (though albeit not by a ton). Still I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone, because really this is a movie truly best enjoyed without revealing too many plot points. Still I can’t tell you how pleased I am with Rey and actress Daisy Ridley. I went in without too many expectations and came out wanting an action figure. And that’s part of the joy and hope of this new installment. Because I know I won’t be the only one inspired by her, and the rest of the cast. Little girls, little boys, big girls, big boys, everyone.

Let’s just put it this way, girl, I can’t wait for the next movie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be seeing it soon and I can't wait. And let's not forget that anything that allows us to enjoy Carrie Fisher's interviews and tweets (and now her dog Gary's Instagram) has a lot going for it out of the gate. Must rush....off to see Carol a second time.

Alex said...

After watching Carol, would or could or should you say- it's the definitive lesbian film? The best lesbian love story ever told? I look forward reading your thoughts and feelings on this year's (probably ever) most achingly-anticipated movie by all gay women on the entire planet.

Carmen SanDiego said...

I want a Rey action figure too! Little girls today are so lucky to have a hero that is all like "why are you holding my hand? Stop that"
the next one seems so promising

Really looking forward to your Carol review