Monday, November 23, 2015

The Waiting Is the Hardest Part

So by now you have probably heard how beautiful, rapturous and all-around swoonable the new movie “Carol” is. I mean, come on, we were all already head-over heels in love just based on the trailer. So we waited, and waited, and waited waited waited for Nov. 20 when we were promised its gloriousness. Finally, a good lesbian movie. We deserve this. This is our moment. This is finally our time. But then Nov. 20 came and, damn, it’s not in a theater near me – or probably you. In fact it’s only playing in four theaters and only in New York and Los Angeles.

And, according to my sources, it won’t be expanding out until Dec. 11. Yes, DECEMBER – FREAKING – ELEVEN.

Look, I’m normally a pretty patient person. I mean, we as gay people, waited until June of this year to have our loving unions recognized and validated across our nation. Heck, we’re still waiting for the U.S. government to agree that the very fact of our existence as LGBT people isn’t reason enough or us to be fired. So, see, we’re a supernaturally patient people. But dammit if I don’t want to go all Veruca Salt and stomp my feet while screaming, “I WANT CAROL, I WANT IT NOW!”

Harumpf. This tantrum goes out to every gay lady not living in NY or LA. Stay strong, sisters. Our time will come.

p.s. Well at least all the NY and LA lesbians are taking advantage of their enviable position, since “Carol” apparently boasted the third-biggest opening of 2015 (in terms of theater average).

p.p.s. Looks like my sources where right. Here’s what the Weinstein distribution head said about the film’s rollout.

For now, Carol is staying put in four cinemas. … add “just a few markets in less than 20 theaters by mid-December.” Carol will reach about 100 theaters for Christmas and expand further after Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Like I was saying, patience. Until then, here is another stupid gorgeous trailer to tide you over. Le sigh.

11 comments:

Waffles said...

I'm dying, I want to see it so badly!

sophiedrx said...

France... Jan.13
*humpfff*

Anonymous said...

There are dissenters. I won't see it.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/shannonkeating/carol#.diaOY7aDb

Alexis G said...

At least you get to watch it in Dec... It's 'TBC' where I'm at... :(

Carmen SanDiego said...

Make the drive make it a weekend in LA

Anonymous said...

Can't take it anymore in VA!!!! GAH!!

Florence said...

Well in my country it only comes out on January 13th so consider yourself Lucky it's only a month away.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Saw a preview in the UK last week . . . keep the faith, it's worth the wait!

Urban Jointz said...

I'm in New York! I'm in New York! Woohoo!

Unknown said...

The lesbian community has waited our whole lives for this film, we can wait a little longer. But pay to see it in the theater so the studios will be willing to make more LGBT films in the future. I've seen it, it's absolutely worth your money and time.

jennymegan said...

Saw it this weekend (thank you, UK cinemas! ) and it is so worth the wait. I haven't been that engrossed in a film since I was a teenager. Cate Blanchett is absolutely fantastic.