Friday, September 10, 2010

My Weekend Crush

Oh Michelle, Michelle. I have not seen “Machete” yet. But my reluctance has nothing to do with Michelle Rodriguez. In fact, M-Rod is pretty much the reason I would go see “Machete.” Well, that and the eye patch. What I like about her, beside her obvious ridiculously rocking body that makes you want to bite your fist on sight, is that she is unapologetically the tough girl. She embraces her strength, she knows it makes her different. And, to be blunt, she doesn’t give a fuck. She realizes because she doesn’t play the girlfriend or the victim, her roles are limited. As she said before:
“I could give two shits. I only wanna be someone or I respect or someone that I consider interesting or fun. I’m here to entertain people and make a statement about female empowerment and strength and that’s what I've done for the last 10 years, and people can call it typecast, but I pigeonholed myself and I put myself in that box for saying no to everything else that came on my plate.”

You have to respect that. In an industry where too many actresses feel forced to make too many concessions to make it – be the eye candy, take off your clothes, get rescued, play dumb – Michelle has made practically none. She exists solely, it seems, to be fierce. Like I was saying, respect. Happy weekend, all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed!!
One fierce woman!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure she gave an interview a while back in which she said she is tired of playing the tough, butch girl, and just wants to be "hot" once in a while.

Norma Desmond said...

Definitely respect the woman even though, as a general rule, the stuff she makes are things I don't want to see. Ever.

URBAN Sapphic said...

I didn't like Machete. First off Robert Rodriguez is merely following up on the trailer that he used in Grind House, do you remember the "Machete" trailer?
Second: Machetes don't cut thru human flesh like butter.
This movie is very unrealistic and the violence pretty high handed and unnecessary.

Lulu said...

i so love Michelle. i just saw Girlfight (her breakout role) and it was awesome. she was. so. freaking. kickass. omg it was amazing. ahhhhh.

that's all.

Christy said...

I have never been a fan hers and I really don't get other lesbian's obsession with her.

Kathryn said...

I'm not a fan of her, but she's a fascinating celebrity. Interesting choice.

Noetic_Hatter said...

I was so upset by LOST season 2 - because if you can make me not find Michelle sexy, then you suck.

I love her - she makes me crazy with wanting her. That is all.

Also, I do respect her choices of roles. She has clearly made a point to not play the airheaded damsel. Good for her.