Friday, January 02, 2009

My Year-End Crush

Let's have one last look back at 2008 before we look forward to the new year, shall we? While it would be totally obvious, entirely deserved and completely precedented for me to pick the fabulous Ms. Fey as my Year-End Crush, I don't want to be the most redundant girl in the world – I just want to be a moderately redundant girl. So instead I'd like to luxuriate a full 365-days worth of literate lust on Rachel Maddow. Rachel is truly an appropriate crush for 2008 given that this was the year she came, saw and kicked the good 'ol boys network of political punditry in its ass. An out lesbian. A Rhodes Scholar. A self-avowed sneaker-wearing, comics-reading, Twitter-scanning geek. There is so much to love about Rachel, but I think what I love most about her is that she talks to us about politics the way we'd like to talk about politics with our friends. Granted, she is way more informed and infinitely more insightful than most of us even dream of being even on our best days. But we all want to be able to approach the absurdities and outrages in our world with the same ever-present good humor and even-handed rationalism that Rachel displays every night. Also, I just love it when she laughs. It's a little bit dorky and a lotta bit endearing, just like her. Happy weekend and happy 2009, all.

p.s. Since you demanded asked so nicely, here is one more reason to love Rachel: She defends us bloggers, and in her PJs no less.

18 comments:

Magnolia31 said...

I totally agree with your choice Dorothy. Rachel Maddow is my all year crush for 2008.

Happy New Year !

Anonymous said...

I am shocked. Pleased but shocked. Your obvious choice would have been so easy to select that I did a double take when I saw that your 2008 crush is Rachel and not Tina.

But no video clip with a laugh or memorable moment. Any way you would consider editing to include?

Anonymous said...

My crush is everyday! LOL!!!

When you said, "Also, I just love it when she laughs. It's a little bit dorky and a lotta bit endearing, just like her." you nailed it!

Happy New Year!

EP

Anonymous said...

Great choice, Miss Dorothy! I stayed in sick New Year's Eve and so ended up watching Rachel's "award show"...hilariously smart stuff. I enjoy her laugh too...so great to hear...as opposed to all the male talking heads with a stick up their you-know-whats...taking themselves too seriously and trying to make political decisions for the country from their limited perspective.

let me dance said...

wow, the pic looks so nice..
i saw her on tv, i think it was
early morning. maybe politic channel? i guess..(^-^).

anyway ds, tina and ellen are so funny. ahaha! is it rehearsal
something? ellen looks very rational in general to me, she is
comedian? though.

thank you for the post,
have a great day! ^^

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice. Though you could have luxuriated for 366 days, since 2008 was a leap year. I also saw Rachel's year end show (albeit on DVR the next day). It was an interesting mix of mainstream television techniques and those drawn from the still wild and woolly Internet. Fun, and hopefully not too much too soon for the older end of the 25 to 54 demographic (of which I am a member--from my perspective, her show is a very smart hoot).

TheWeyrd1 said...

I think I have those same PJ's!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I thought the clip at the bottom was a freeze-framed Tina Fey until I pressed play. Mistaking La Fey for Il Palin.... uurrrgggh. Not a good start to the year!

Laura NY said...

yes! maddow is definitely my crush of 2008. perfect blend of brains, beauty and sarcasm...love it!

Congrats on a great year of blogging, Ms. Snarker. You brighten my day and make me giddy with all those pictures of Beals' guns and girls in tanks.

Hope 2009 brings you continued success and more Tina Fey than we could ever hope for.

J9 said...

When I saw the clip on her show originally, I started screaming because I have the same blue fuzzy slippers! I will never ever throw them out!

Penny Cillin said...

Sigh. I love Rachel Maddow. A lot.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said... #1 - Thank you for the vid clip. : )

bisquiat said...

hell yeah.

Anonymous said...

absolutely! great choice! sigh...she's so dreamy:)

Anonymous said...

i do so love the girl...so cute in her jammy bottoms.

Anonymous said...

i agree about your year end crush... not to diminish the lovely and hot tina... but sometimes a girl's got to throw the crush love around some

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's the thing, as with most lesbians I can agree that Tina Fey is clearly a genius. However, this year has hilighted some extremely important and substantial issues for the LGBT crew worldwide, not to mention life in general. There are two people who are GENUINELY worthy of a year's worth of praise at this point, in my humble opinion and they are Brooke Smith and Rachel Maddow. Considering that Brooke's situation spans a shorter amount of time it really has to go to Rachel. Okay, I've said my piece, cheers Dorothy - perhaps I could suggest a year's award for your beautiful snark?
xxx
wyrm

Anonymous said...

She's hot! And "adorkable." HUGE crush.