Monday, August 08, 2011

Star ships

You know what I like? Puppies? Rainbows? A glass of Rombauer merlot while watching the sunset into the ocean? OK, yes, I like all those things. So perhaps my query was a little broad. You know what I like about our favorite TV stars? I like when they ship the lesbian relationships as much as the fans. I really, really like that. I mean, it’s like catnip to us fans. We roll around and purr for hours after our favorite stars acknowledge our obsessions. And a few of the very best at doing that of late have been Naya Rivera, Joanne Kelly, Dana Delany and Julie Benz. The “Glee,” “Warehouse 13” and former “Desperate Housewives” stars have all rooted on their lesbian characters/subtext of late. Man, those ladies are making the fangirls hyperventilate big time.

Of course, Naya’s ability to make the fangirls’ hearts palpitate is nothing new. I mean, she called Santana and Brittany soulmates. But the way she keeps raising the bar is extraordinary. Like, take over the weekend at the “Glee: The 3D Concert Movie” premiere. Of course, she was great to fans – signing autographs and interacting as she does. But Naya took it one step further. She wore a “Brittana is love” bracelet.

COME ON. She wore the bracelet. She is truly the captain of this ship. Oh captain, my captain. p.s. Yes, I know a fan gave it to her. But she did put it on, which is quite something considering it does not match her outfit at all.

But Joanne’s captaining of the Myla/HG ship is new. I mean, fans had long read the subtext between Joanne’s Myka and Jaime Murray’s HG Wells. Jaime, that great bringer of lesbianism to television shows, had acknowledged the magnificent sideways glances her HG and Myka exchange on the show. But Joanne took it to that proverbial other level at Comic-Con. Not only did she confirm the subtext between the characters (saying “We fell in love a little bit.”), she seems to be actively rooting for the two.

I mean, come on. How adorable is that? SO ADORABLE.

And then there’s Dana Delany who told TV Guide she wants to see her character of Katherine and her girlfriend Robin (Julie Benz) return for the show’s final season.

“I would love to come back for one episode just to sort of wrap things up with Katherine. I want to know that she's happy. A happy lesbian. Wouldn't that be nice?”

Julie read Dana’s TV Guide comments and wholeheartedly agreed via Twitter.

Oh, ladies. That’s how you make a fandom love you forever and ever and ever.

9 comments:

Norma Desmond said...

My love for Dana Delany? Literally boundless. So much so that I should do what I've been long contemplating... cheat on my fake-tv-fiancee, Sara Ramirez, and make Dana my fake-tv-mistress. Wait for it... wait for it... I just did.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I think this is now the 3rd related "Dexter" comment I've left you, and I'm *honestly* not trying to be annoying, but if you're a fan of cursing brunettes, Jaime Murray, AND Julie Benz, you seriously have to watch that show! I'm telling you, Ms Snarker, you'll love it! :)

evil_angel said...

Loved Julie Benz and Dana Delany as a couple :) I always find utterly fascinating couples who consist of two very different characters. I hope as well that they come back to Wisteria Lane for a few (or even just one) more episodes

btw I 've just discovered your blog(shame on me I know) and I must say I already love it :)

Anonymous said...

Naya wore a bracelet because *a fan gave it to her*

It was cool of her to wear it though.

Steph M. said...

Not to throw any cold water on anything, but I think Naya was handed the bracelet by a fan. She wasn't wearing it in early photos from that event. Doesn't take away from the fact that she put it on and wore it, but she didn't bring it herself or anything...

Ceridwyn2 said...

Now, I'd love to see Dana Delaney's "Body of Proof" character Megan Hunt with Jeri Ryan's Kate Murphy. They just sizzled in each scene. Hot.

MizGarfield said...

Completely agree with Ceridwyn2 : Body of Proof would be so good (e.g. hot) to watch.

Anonymous said...

I've had the hots for Dana Delaney since "China Beach" (and yes, I know that shows my age). :)

Carol said...

Loving the Warehouse 13 luv of late... :)

Those ladies are so NOT coy about their support of their W13 character's pairing off. It's damn refreshing and gives my overworked subtextual imagination some rest.

Plus the show itself is a geek girl's funhouse (Tricia Helfer, Lindsey Wagner, Jeri Ryan and soon, Kate Mulgrew have guest starred)!