Friday, August 26, 2011

My Weekend Crush

Oh, Tallulah, Tallulah. I imagine that’s a phrase she heard quite a lot, that sexy minx. Famed for her love of life and love of many lovers – male and female – she once quipped, “My father warned me about men and booze, but he never mentioned a word about women and cocaine.” And, oh, the women: Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Marlene Dietrich, Eva Le Gallienne, Laurette Taylor, Patsy Kelly, Hattie McDaniel, Estelle Winwood, Mercedes de Acosta. Allegedly.

Witty, pretty and oh so gay, Tallulah was a provocateur of the most delicious kind. The self-described “pure as the driven slush” southern starlet came up during Hollywood’s Golden Age in the 20s. She was known as much for her outsized personality as her acting abilities. If she’d been alive today, I’d imagine her shenanigans alone could keep TMZ in business. I think she would have been a hell of a gal to know.

The film critic Rex Reed famously told a story about Tallulah and Joan Crawford that kind of says it all. Joan attended a party for Tallulah dressed in a gown covered in gold glitter. Tallulah took her up to the bedroom and slammed the door, only to emerge later – stark naked – with gold glitter covering her lady business. She went to the balcony overlooking the partygoers and announced “Guess who just went down on me?” Oh, Tallulah, Tallulah. Happy weekend, all.

12 comments:

sonje said...

Ah, Tallulah Bankhead. She has a special place in my heart too. My favorite anecdote about her ends with the (super famous) line, "I thought I told you to wait in the car."

Kathryn said...

One word: glorious.

Buddyroe said...

As a guest at a Catholic mass, TB allegedly told an incense-swinging and ornately robed priest, "Love the dress, padre, but your purse is on fire."

Beebee said...

Great story!

Norma Desmond said...

Yeah... I would have happily followed Joanie's lead.

Ang715 said...

This is why I love you, Ms. Snarker. You can give us the tank tops one day and Tallulah the next. And you also recognize that Marlene Dietrich can school them all in how to wear a fucking hat. Mention Rita Hayworth someday and I'm pretty sure I'll have lost my heart to you forever.

Shasta said...

Oh my goodness.... Is there a Tallulah Bankhead biography? That would be some great reading!

KateS said...

Oh, I love Tallulah.

Rizz Rustbolt said...

"I have three phobias which, could I mute them, would make my life as slick as a sonnet, but as dull as ditch water: I hate to go to bed, I hate to get up, and I hate to be alone."

-Tallulah Bankhead

DJ Paul V. said...

Tallulah was QUITE the character! OMG!

Hey, I would love you to submit the story of your first, famous gay crush on my blog:

MY FIRST GAY CRUSH BLOG:
http://myfirstgaycrush.blogspot.com

And we need more lady crushes there, too :)
xo Paul V.
http://www.BornThisWayBlog.com

LK said...

Also this "Her last coherent words reportedly were "Codeine... bourbon."

www.lugo-3d.com said...

It won't work in reality, that's exactly what I consider.