Thursday, August 25, 2011

Gender Fuck Thursday: Leave Your Hat On

Hey, remember how much you all loved that picture of Hayley Atwell wearing a hat? You know the one, with the suspenders. And the tongue. Fine, OK, and the tank top. Yep, now you remember. Well, Hayley’s jaunty little chapeau got me thinking. Women should wear more hats. No, not like those crazy Kentucky Derby battleship headpieces or those even crazier royal wedding ornamental antler displays. I mean more traditional hats. Your fedoras. Your newsboy caps. Heck, even your top hats. If I wanted to wear a peacock on my head, I’d wear a peacock. But when I want to wear a hat, I wear a fucking hat. Like Queen B above, and these fine ladies below.

Evangeline LillyBeing stuck on that island all those years really robbed us of valuable time we could have been watching Evangeline wearing a tux and fedora.

Jennifer Jason LeighRemember back in the 90s when every movie either starred Jennifer Jason Leigh or Bridget Fonda, sometimes both?

Keeley HawesOh, Kitty, Kitty. You terrible, terrible heartbreaker.

Maria BelloIn the new “Prime Suspect” remake, the big controversy so far isn’t that she’s filling in for the formidable Helen Mirren – it’s that she wears that fedora.

Joan as Police WomanObligatory joke about how if she was a real police woman, I’d let her cuff me any day.

Audrey TautouIf Coco Chanel really made suits like this for women, I would so buy one. OK, not really. I’m a writer and couldn’t afford one. But I’d covet one, that’s for sure.

JD SamsonWho knows, maybe the garrison cap will make a comeback after.

Piper PeraboThey should make her wear more hats on “Covert Affairs.” Yep, definitely more hats.

Marlene Dietrich
Marlene Dietrich
Women, men, animals, minerals – take note. Now that’s how you wear a fucking hat.

21 comments:

;) babs said...

thank you for the pic of Joan Wasser!
she could cuff me anytime, too!

Norma Desmond said...

This is a trend that, unlike tank tops, I cannot get behind. Lesbians wear hats too often as it is... please don't encourage them. :P

Buddyroe said...

I think Bello is wearing a trilby (shorter brim) in that pic. Usually only see those "scene" girls in such caps, but Maria wears it like a grown woman with swagger. I like.

Redbone210 said...

Dietrich, Perabo, Bello – oh my!

And Evangeline…she makes me quiver. Every time.

Anonymous said...

If you can rock a hat, ladies, I say rock the hat! If I'm going out a hat isn't an accessory its a necessity! Newsboy, fedora, derby, I would die for a legitimate top hat... Some folks don't look good in hats though so word of advice, know your limits ;-)

Pony

Ava said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ava said...

You forgot this one:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmwo77I5XY1qf6avqo1_250.gif

Rizz Rustbolt said...

If Allison Goldfrapp couldn't bring back the garrison cap, then no one could.

Lindsay said...

Oh my lord...excuse me while I go buy 8,000 new hats.

Lisa said...

What no Papi? Lol

Anonymous said...

Oh my lord indeed . . . phew . . . speechless, and very, very appreciative!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Snarker,

I am grateful for your posts everyday. You have no idea how incredibly boring and crap my job is and your blog has really kept me entertained whilst perving on girls and getting paid to do so. I'm happy to say I am leaving this job (whoop!) but I just wanted to say thank you!

Anonymous said...

That picture of Evangeline was what finally convinced me 100% that I was gay. Soooooo sexy! Thank you!!

westwood said...

Women, yes, but everybody. What I don't understand is why nice hats went out of style. They make anybody look classy! Although I think classy went out of style long ago...

thegirlyouneverknew said...

after a crappy day at a shitty workplace, your posts are such a treat i feel like i need to ration them ...

which is to say, more Joan Wasser, please!

Florence said...

HHHNNNGGG Keeley Hawes...
Oh Kitty I will always love you, with or without the hat, I just can't help it.

Sheren Bamberger said...

I love hats especially Paperboys (bought one recently and it's super dapper and I can't stop wearing it)so that Atwell pic pretty much killed me lol.
Also, Audrey Tautou is so amazing in Coco before Chanel and every look was awesome.
But, I'm surprised you don't have any pics of Naya Rivera she can rock a hat (a straw fedora in particular that has been dubbed as the gay!hat in fandom-See Ain't Nothin' but a Glee Thang which has the bonus of her in a tank top) :P

sevantitade said...

Yep, now you remember. Well, Hayley’s airy little chapeau got me thinking. Women should abrasion added hats.

Sun Hats

John midlton said...

At contest such as fests and bedrock concerts the caps, and the hat affectation stands are about actual accepted than the hat fixtures, so it is no abruptness that on these kinds of occasions we see mostly caps that are displayed.

Fedora Hats

www.zaragoza-3d.com said...

A lot of helpful data for myself!

kim kardashian fan said...

Some ladies can really pull off a hat. I'm not one of 'em. I look like a dude when I put one on :(