Wednesday, February 21, 2018

You Don't Own Us

Here are two of the sheroes of my not all that rebellious youth (What? I was a good student…) Shirley Manson and Fiona Apple, singing a wonderfully defiant version of Lesley Gore’s “You Don’t Own Me.” What a perfect anthem for our Time’s Up moment. And, really, a lot of things. Garbage men, you don’t own us. NRA, you don’t own us. GOP, you don’t own us. Trump, get the fuck out. Etc. Etc. Etc.

p.s. Fiona's shirt is a reference to Grammy president Neil Portnow. He suggested women weren't succeeding at the awards because we need to "step up" more. So, you know, fuck him, too.

4 comments:

Waffles said...

Totally shipping them now.

Helena said...

Absolutely what I needed to hear today.

Carmen SanDiego said...

Shirley Manson still makes my heart beat faster even after all these years

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMxtbAP2cyU

Goddamn I miss Lesley Gore :-(