Friday, February 24, 2017

My Weekend Rise

In this age of limited series, anthology shows, binge watching and streaming services, the thought of a good, old-fashioned, multi-day broadcast miniseries is down-right quaint. The format, once the realm of prestige network television, has tackled historical dramas and western romanticism (like, Jesus, how many “Lonesome Doves” were there – a thousand?) And one of its go-to genres has been Very Important Social Issues (think “Roots”).

So for the LGBT community to finally get its old-school historical miniseries moment (yes, I know – there have been series like “Angels in America” and “Tales of the City,” but this is more all-encompassing) means something. Which is why I plan to watch “When We Rise.” The ABC miniseries chronicles the modern LGBT rights movement from Stonewall to present day. It chronicling the lives of real-life activists. It has a slew of high-profile actors and high-profile directors. For all intents and purposes it looks earnest and heartfelt.

I don’t know if it will be any good, because all I’ve seen is the trailer so far. But I do know that we, as a community, are due something that takes our struggle and our history seriously. Something that does not whitewash. Something that does not sugarcoat. Something that emphasizes the struggle still ahead. (And, as we say this week, this administration is not and has never been our friend – or a friend to POC or immigrants or Muslims or anyone else who isn’t a straight white rich male).

“When I Rise” will air four consecutive nights next week starting Monday (only interrupted Tuesday by Cheeto Hitler’s address to Congress, that asshole) on ABC. I really hope it’s good. We deserve it, we really do. Happy weekend, all.

1 comment:

Carmen SanDiego said...

I am so looking forward to this. I hope it's great