Friday, April 22, 2016

My Weekend Purple Crush

For whatever reason, I never truly entertained the idea that Prince could die. He always seemed so immortal. Death seemed too pedestrian for such a mad genius. I’ve written about the permission to be weird Prince gave to me, as a queer girl growing up, and all us other glorious weirdos over at Women & Hollywood today. So now, I’d like to just revel in the talent. Since it’s hard to find Prince’s music – particularly videos - online on purpose, I’m posting some of my favorite (not to mention some of the gayest) covers of his music here.

Brandi Carlile, “Nothing Compares 2 U”

While practically nothing compares to Sinead O’Connor’s original version of this, Brandi gives it a beautiful go.

Tegan and Sara, “When You Were Mine”

Lots of people, including T&S, forget this song was written by Prince and covered by Cyndi.

The Bangles, “Manic Monday”

Not a cover, since they recorded it originally, but another reminder of the wonderful songs Prince wrote – particularly for female artists.

Cast of “The Color Purple,” “Purple Rain”

Last night Jennifer Hudson et al from the Broadway show performed this tribute. Lovely.

And, finally, not a cover. Just Prince singing his own song, stripped down to its beautiful bones, two months ago.

2 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

The man was a genius. Genius. So incredibly talented. I am very happy that I saw him in concert before it was too late. Good night sweet prince, You will be missed for sure

Unknown said...

Delighted that I found your site, fantastic info. I will bookmark and try to visit more frequently.
men tank tops