Wednesday, August 13, 2014

You know how to whistle, don't you, kittens?

Oh, geez. What a bad couple of days. Lauren Bacall was one of my original silver screen crushes. Icon doesn’t seem strong enough a word. She was the epitome of a movie star, impossibly cool and impossibly beautiful. She was, is and will always be The Look – the best look in all of Hollywood. The way she could just turn her eyes and dismantle us all completely. Sigh. One of the greats, kittens. One of the absolute greats.



Just put your lips together and blow, indeed.



p.s. I hate hate hate smoking. But damn damn damn if she didn’t make it look so fucking sexy.



4 comments:

;) babs said...

RIP Betty!

Jess said...

I adored her as a teenager. My father introduced me to Bogey and Bacall movies when I was 11 or so. I read her autobiography from the '80s (before she updated it).

I loved knowing the origin of The Look.

Rest well, gracious lady- you will be missed.

Carmen SanDiego said...

And now everyone Madonna rapped about in "Vogue" is dead

Greta Garbo (April 15, 1990)
Marilyn Monroe (Aug. 5, 1962)
Marlene Dietrich (May 6, 1992)
Joe DiMaggio (March 8, 1999)
Marlon Brando (July 1, 2004)
James Dean (Sept. 30, 1955)
Grace Kelly (Sept. 14, 1982)
Jean Harlow (June 7, 1937)
Gene Kelly (Feb. 2, 1996)
Fred Astaire (June 2, 1987)
Ginger Rogers (April 25, 1995)
Rita Hayworth (May 14, 1987)
Lauren Bacall (Aug. 12, 2014)
Katharine Hepburn (June 29, 2003)
Lana Turner (June 29, 1995)
Bette Davis (Oct. 6, 1989)​

Kaz said...

Sorry, there is NOTHING sexy about smoking. Both my parents died from lung cancer because they thought smoking was sexy too when they were young.

I will miss Lauren Becall.