Friday, July 18, 2014

My Weekend Crush

You know that saying, “Big things come in little packages?” Well after meeting Kacy Catanzaro that has to be changed to “Big kick-ass Ninja Warriors come in little packages.” I don’t know if you’ve ever watched “American Ninja Warrior” or not. I just started this year because my resolution was to exercise more and watching people perform insane physical feats is basically the same thing. But one of the things I learned when I started watching is that no woman had ever completed the extreme obstacle course before – like ever. And then along came Mighty Kacy, who not only became the first women to complete the Qualifying course, this week she became the first woman to complete the Regional Finals course. That means she is also the first finalist, who will go on to grueling ultimate final course, dubbed Mt. Midoriyama, in Las Vegas.

Two other women after Kacy went on to complete the Qualifying course, and will have their shot at their Regional Finals. So hopefully they’ll meet Kacy on the mountain. But for now, it’s hard not to (and why would you even try) to be awed by her accomplishment – and by her. This is a course that has made mince meat of men twice her size. I’ve watched absolute physical specimens crumple and crash at the grueling requirements of this super-human course. Those who complete it combine strength, flexibility, agility, grip strength, endurance and fearlessness. I’m pretty sure I’d fall and knock myself out on the Quintuple Steps (the very first obstacle, FYI). Kacy, a former gymnast, is all of 5-foot tall, which makes some of the swinging, jumping and hanging obstacles that much harder. But you know what? NO fucking excuses. She works hard, she trains hard. She’s pretty fucking awesome. If you don’t feel inspired watching her compete with the big boys, well, I can do nothing for you, son. Happy Ninja Warrior weekend, all.

5 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

Best of luck to her
And have a great weekend DS

Hoot said...

I think her smaller size/lower weight is actually an advantage in this competition. Of course, she is incredibly fit and her run through the qualifying course was truly inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Not being the grammar police, but it should be "No xxx excuses". I figured you're a writer so you would actually care. Damn spellcheck ;-)

Anonymous said...

I actually Know Fucking Excuses. They're my life's work so I like it the first way.

Anonymous said...

Basketball jerseys are tank tops, aren't they? See lots of hot women wearing same in the WNBA All-Star game Saturday July 19 ESPN 12:30 PDT.