Monday, November 18, 2013

Something magnificently evil this way comes

Maleficent has always been my favorite Disney villain. There is something so magnificently malevolent about her. She’s regal and terrifying. Plus, there are the horns. And, you know, her dragon. As an adult, it’s a little hard to admit that Sleeping Beauty was one of your favorite Disney princess film. From a feminist perspective it’s possibly the worst on the strong independent heroine scale. I mean, the girl sleeps through basically the whole story. It’s in the damn title. But I attribute my lingering affection to the story all to Maleficent. And now that Angelina Jolie will play her in alive-action retelling of Sleeping Beauty well. It’s OK to cheer for the bag guy sometimes, right? Heck, who needs magical powers to impress when you have cheekbones you can slice deli meat on.



p.s. I know I’m probably getting my hopes up. I was pretty unimpressed with “Snow White,” even though I loved Charlize Theron’s Evil Queen. But, dammit, if I don’t want to believe.

4 comments:

zeli said...

Even during the Disney Parade at the Disney parks (for me, Disneyland Paris), she's THE most fascinating character… Angelina, please, come to Disneyland ;)

Maria said...

I must be the only person in the Western World not excited to see this movie. I am dreading it, actually.

For once, and you have no idea how important this is to me (like, I seriously can't get over this fact) Maleficent ISN'T GREEN!! Dude, that's my entire childhood, right there. Maleficent was evil and twisted and green. Green and black pretty much summed up her wickedness.

Then, there's this thing where Maleficent is one of the best Disney villains ever, if not the best, because she's right there in the Joker category of "I do evil things because I do as I please, there's absolutely no logical reasoning behind it". I mean, she cursed a baby princess because she wasn't invited to a damn party!

What I got from the trailer is that Maleficent is this pathetic little witch who obsesses over Aurora for 16 frickin' years, watching her in the shadows until the time comes to put her to sleep.

I mean, what?

First OUAT, now this. Why do they have to keep messing with my childhood? *sigh*

On the bright side, my expetactions are so low I might actually enjoy the movie. lol

Leah said...

She actually wasn't green originally. In the original print if the film she was very, very white, but over time the colors faded and changed and she turned green. They eventually restored the film but left Maleficent green because that's what people were used to. But she wasn't supposed to be green like the Wicked Witch of the West, just as the horns are just part of her hat. She is supposed to look human, just really intense.

Anonymous said...

Not looking forward to this movie as Angelina hasn't done a decent movie in years.