Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Real-life Rosies

So I started to watch “Bomb Girls,” finally, and now I’m in the mood for even more strong women is headscarves with spunky “We Can Do It” attitudes. And nothing is better than the real thing. Here is a collection of images from women at work during World War II giving it their best Rosie the Riveter. Just a reminder that we’ve always been able to do it. And we always will be, too.

A collection of images by Alfred T. Palmer from the WWII era:








EDIT: While disappointing that some of these ladies may be subs for the real rosies, they inspire still. And, remember, Gladys started in the secretary's office. So there's always hope.

5 comments:

sageweb said...

A little history on those photos. They are from Douglas Aircraft. The women in the photos were actually the secretaries, they felt at the time the actual factory workers were too rough to photograph so they took the better looking and dressed secretaries and had them pose. They idea was to get women to come work in the factory during war time. My source for this is the actual Rosie the riveters whom I spent many hours with listening to stories of how they were treated.

sadie0777 said...

Rosie the Riveter is plastered on the wall in our women's dry at work. I'm an underground gold miner. Women Can do it! We "digger" out in our bibs, hard hats, steel toe boots and mine belts dripping with tools! Bandanas to cover our hair. There aren't many at my particular mine and we fight Everyday to be treated equally since we work along side the guys! I feel a certain kinship to the original Rosie's! Tell me I cant n I'll prove that I can! (Most likely better than them!) We are Certainly better heavy equipment operators! Ms. Snarker, I salute you for this one. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

the histories of all these women who fought in many wars are truly amazing....I know my mum was air traffic control,tower operator and no one ever gave her flack...she demanded respect because she controlled light aircraft and the occasional planes that got lost and ended up,on the wrong forces base....her class was the cream of the crop...all UNI graduates...this was WW 2... they had to learn complicated subjects such as Morse Code in one day....thank you for writing about these unheralded women....they made economies work with their hard work and need to receive the attention they deserve.

Unknown said...

Where oh where can a girl watch bomb girls. Dying to find a source where I am not downloading a virus. I live in the states. Any info appreciated