Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Our Girls

Today I feel a lot better than yesterday, I know that. I’ve been engrossed in the Supreme Court hearings these past two days, reading, watching, listening. Yesterday, after some procedural wishy-washiness by the Supremes in the Prop. 8 case, it seemed as if no sweeping decision would be forthcoming on marriage equality. But today, after hearing reports on the DOMA hearing I feel like hard-fought victory may be close at hand. Of course, we shouldn’t get too excited. It won’t be until probably late June until we know for sure. But for now, I feel invigorated. Of course, we also have to ask ourselves what took so long. Because contrary to some justice’s assertions, “gay marriage” is not newer than cell phones or the internet. It’s been around for as long as gay men and lesbian women and all other people in the LGBT spectrum have vowed to love and honor each other until death do they part. Heck, our friends “The Golden Girls” knew it way back in 1991. That’s 22 years ago. We are all friends of Sophia now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this clip. I would love to know how the world reacted to this back when it aired. I was in 1st grade. I know for my mom personally she has has gone from complete disgust over gay people to almost complete acceptance. I hate that the Justices think its too soon to rule on DOMA. The most offensive to me was them calling it a social experiment that they're not sure the outcome of. Canadians are allowed to get married. Look what happened. Gay people got married, the world moved on. We are so ready to move on.

Lizzie said...

Such a great clip! I must share!

Anonymous said...

The Golden Girls was ahead of its time. So awesome that it was Sophia who was able to put it into perspective for the younger, supposedly more sexually liberal Blanche. Great post, Dot!

Mahlers5th said...

“Don’t tell me the Democrats are the party of the future, when their presidential ticket for 2016 [i.e. Hillary] is shaping up to look like a rerun of The Golden Girls.”
[Sen. Mitch McConnell]

Let's hope so,

WorldWideWill said...

Awesome. I love that you use the Golden Girls as a reference for this. It is so true. Love your Blog.