Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Slip you some Skins

I love this news more than cheese. In fact, I’ve loved it since I was 12 – metaphorically. That’s right muff monkeys, you can now watch the entire first four season of “Skins” UK on Hulu. For free. Right now. This second. Did you not hear me? WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE?

But, for those able to restrain themselves from ending all of their productivity for the foreseeable future and are still reading, let us discuss why this is such great news. First of all, whenever I write about “Skins,” at least half the comments are: “Where can I watch Skins?!? How can I watch Skins?!?! Will you help me watch Skins immediately so I don’t combust from my all-consuming desire for all things Naomily?!?!?” So here we have the answer. Hulu, my fans of intricately told intense British teen dramas with sophisticated same-sex storylines, Hulu.

Now, at this point I realize some of you are probably like, what is this bollocky wank shite? Why isn’t resident Skins Scholar and esteemed Naomily expert Heather Hogan telling me this news? You’re just a student with a crush. All true. Fear not, I make no claims to the levels of character understanding or narrative analysis as our beloved Heather. And you should definitely pop over to AfterEllen today to get her perspective on this news. (As an aside about the power of The Big Lesbian Phonetree, I actually discovered this news from a tweet from big gay supastar Hannah Hart.)

Right, but back to “Skins” (the UK one, not that American one we’ve all made a unspoken pact never to mention again) and why you should love it like it’s your lobster. The very best thing about Skins is that it’s messy. It’s gloriously, unapologetically, unabashedly messy. It veers from high camp to high drama, sometimes in the same breath. It thrashes about madly, showing off its sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll to anyone within earshot. But like many teenagers, that loud, obnoxious outside hides a raw, hungry inside. Growing up, falling in love, finding ourselves – these are the stories we all understand. We try and we fail and we do the wrong things for the right reason and the right things for the wrong reasons. These stories – for all their brash obnoxiousness – are only human. And we humans are a fucking mess.

All this and I haven’t even mentioned Naomily. Seasons 3 and 4 brought us the singularly amazing and universally relatable characters of Naomi Campbell and Emily Fitch. To be honest, I’m a little jealous of all the people who will now get to fall in love with them for the first time. Because you will. It’s the unstoppable force. Their storyline is one of the most heart-wrenching, most heart-warming, most heartfelt portrayals of gay teen love I have ever seen. And, really, not just gay teen love – but all love. Love is being scared. Love is being brave. Love is fucking up. Love is saying you’re sorry – no matter what that stupid movie says. Naomily is all those things. With oils, and stuff.

In fact, the best and only way to show those who do not know Naomily what Naomily is is just to show you what Naomily is. Now, I realize it’s probably a sin to skip ahead like this. In fact, I advise you to not skip ahead if you already intend to start watching the series. But, if showing you one of my favorite hours of television ever is the only way to get the doubters to watch from the beginning, then so be it. You’ll lose the delicious, complicated, hilarious, harrowing build up. (And, like with any new relationship, isn’t the anticipation almost the best thing?) In fact, this almost seems unfair. Because after watching this you’re sure to be a goner. A goner, I say.

There. Welcome to being in love. Now go forth and enjoy the phase where you drink in everything and anything you can about the other person – and need to see each other every second. Just lock yourself in your room with your Naomily and your Hulu. I’ll see you in about a month.

p.s. Apologies to my non-US friends. Geoblocking is a bitch, I tell ya. Also a bitch? Musical license fees. But Naomily with new music is better than no Naomily at all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noooooooo, Hulu is only available in the US :(

Kaisa said...

I tried watching it but they replaced all of the (excellent) music from the original broadcast. Unacceptable! It probably won't bother people who've never watched skins before, but I'll stick to my superior pirated copies =)

vrgriffith said...

I'm in my forties, and though I've heard HH wax poetic about Skins, it just seemed a bit creepy for me to watch. This is the same reason I haven't watched PLL. Am I being silly or is this legitimate.

lynnie said...

just some info...you can watch these after ellen vids from outside the u.s.a. by using free encripting software (can find on cnet downloads for one). I use it after my move from u.s.a. to england so I wont miss favorites like The Good Wife and Amazing Race...just to name 2. hope this helps.

Big Shamu said...

Dude, more than CHEESE? Are you mad?

Anonymous said...

somewhat your tone feels like
someone forking your back with a finger
when you typed today's story.

feels like very high tone and urgent speech
about a drama that i don't know much.

thanks anyway, and nice week.
today was really not funny day, personally.

TrueTor said...

Skins is also available on Netflix. Maybe that version has the same music? I intend on watching that version, so I would love to know if it has the original music.

Great news about Hulu though. Free is always awesome!

Emily said...

Sadly, the episodes on Netflix don't use all the original music, either. Some of it's the same, but a lot is changed, and unfortunately all of the changes are inferior. It's still worth it to watch, though.

I was skeptical about liking Skins for a while, but once I gave in, fell passionately in love... and then fell in love all over again when I got to read HH’s / Rophy’s recaps. Everyone who hasn’t seen it (regardless of age) should give it a try.

Grey-Moi said...

Oh you poor, poor ppl. Have you really been waiting all this time to experience Skins for the first time? Y'all need to work on your 'net pirating skills. I watched the show online (illegally) around the same time it was airing, with the original music. If anyone is interested you can email me and I'll send you a link.

Anonymous said...

Love me some Harto, but every time i see a post like this, I cry a little. I'm a Canadian living in Paris, no TV for me i'm afraid :(

Anonymous said...

Tanktop Tuesday?