Monday, October 17, 2011

Castle Katic

Do you know who I’ve recently discovered? Stana Katic. I know I put her on my “Unsnubbed” list earlier this year. But truth be told I just never watched “Castle.” This makes no sense because I love crime procedurals and I love Captain Tightpants. But I think the concept always bugged me a bit. A mystery writer who works for the police? I’m a writer and even I am like, um, hey now what now? (Also, don’t get me started on the concept for “The Mentalist.”)

But last week as I was finishing up my mandatory Team Hope and Team Chaz DVR fast forwarding of DWTS, I left the channel on and caught the beginning of “Castle.” Or, let’s say, I tried to catch the beginning of “Castle.” Mostly I just stared open-mouthed at the screen and thought, JESUS STANA KATIC IS FUCKING GORGEOUS. I have no idea what the plot of the show was. I have no idea whether I liked the show or not. I have no idea about anything other than razor cheekbones and flowing hair and leather jackets.

Now I understand after doing some research (it’s for science, people, for science), that Stana wasn’t always allowed to shine quite as much. She had more of a regulation lady cop haircut and sense of style. I mean compare her early publicity photos to her current publicity photos for the show. It’s like the showrunners finally gave up and said, “Fuck it, our star is ridiculously beautiful. Go with it.”

And last week, well – low whistle. Of course, it does stretch the realm of credulity a bit to have this spectacular specimen of the female form walking around with perfectly wind-blown hair and glamour make-up pretending to catch bad guys. But you have to go with your strength. And here, with all due respect to Nathan Fillion and his extreme degree of hunkiness and likeability, your strength is Stana Katic. Seriously, guys, I would happily watch this show on mute. In fact, I just might tonight.

26 comments:

Jay said...

But if you watch it on mute you miss out on all the great banter Beckett and Castle have going on AND all the Firefly references. ;)

shade said...

i love the banter on castle. i tell you, canada is taking over the world... or atleast the actors are. and for science you say? ...... kinky :D

Anonymous said...

Ms Snarker it's about freaking time you noticed the awsomeness and pure deliciousness that this woman is. You have no excuse to not watch Castle now. Go check it out. She's not just gorgeous. She's a great actress also.

techgirl67 said...

It's only a matter of time before the world realizes what they've been missing too.

Oh and if you want to see more of Stana's gorgeousness and acting chops, download or rent "For Lovers Only" on iTunes.

Anonymous said...

How can you not have seen this sooner?! Stana Katic is am-aaaaa-zing and she even does the links in the UK, just in case you forget what you are watching during the ad breaks ;o).

FASTTCR said...

The banter may be to notch but the plots - yikes, dont get me started. I wasn't able to keep it up for her through all of the story lines.

Also, I miss the butch cop look. Great article awhile back on afterellen about how TV lady cops start off with short hair and little glamour only to be transformed in future seasons into glamour babes complete with long hair.

My favorite part is him and his daughter. Precious.

Shasta said...

I've loved Castle from the start, and Beckett has looked great every season. Her hair really is magnificent this season though. Anyone who's read the Eve Dallas books was probably pinging in season one and wondering where Peabody was.
I enjoy almost all the characters on the show, but the new captain hasn't grown on me. Anyone else have a silly "whoa, she's hot!" moment when they put Lainie in an evening gown? I know, she should be hot in scrubs, bur she was smokin' in that dress!

vrgriffith said...

Banter just wasn't enough for me. But always thought Ms.Katic was gorgeous. Leave my Mentalist alone.

TJ said...

The whole premise of the show turned me off too, originally. I started watching during the Season 3 and Season 4 hiatus due to, well, peer pressure basically. But I'm so glad I caved, Castle is definitely one of my, if not my most, favourite show now.

e said...

I've never watched it either, but from your pictures I like her in the ever-so-slightly butch(ish) phase better. That could be because I have a thing for butches.

She sure is purty though!

kaos said...

well you've finally come to your senses...what with paget and stana back-to-back posts, you are now firmly blogging in my wheelhouse...and i likes it! between this and lost girl, god bless canada!! (and texas for angie lol)

alex dumas said...

Welcome to Stana worship services. Always in progress.

Ginny said...

Thanks for the link to the Unsnubbed post, discovered many lovely ladies through the comments! My own suggestion is Gillian Jacobs from Community. She is ADORABLE as Britta. (I'd add that Annie's hot too, but... "Annie's young, we try not to sexualize her." ;)

araparatus said...

Guess you missed her in Feast of Love as the Jeep driving, soft ball player who gets the girl.

Anonymous said...

Good catch. You can find Feast of Love clip online. You will be compelled to watch it multiple times. She is lovely.

Anonymous said...

finally mrs Snarker, finally!! She is so beautiful it is ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

stana katic is hot. I like her more with the shorter haircut of the first season...

KalliopePL said...

No MUTE, turn on the sound to listen to fantastic banter between Kate and Rick :) Somebody mentioned Firefly references, I'm not familiar with that show, so don't get them at all and personally think that the show doesn't need them at all. Actually I'd be more happy to hear more references to Stana's previous show and films she was on before "Castle". Or current one - "For Lovers Only" ;)

Anonymous said...

Eh.. she sure is pretty, if only she could act.. To me she is the weakest link of that whole ensemble, donno she seems kinda cold and trying too hard. I enjoy the show though, everybody has great chemistry with Fillion, especially his family and cop bros. Plots are outrageous of course, I watch for the characters

Anonymous said...

You need to check out Feast of Love. :)

Ginny said...

Halloween Britta: http://roguecit.livejournal.com/3215.html

Anonymous said...

Anonymous has no clue (of course, I'm Anonymous too, but let's ignore that). Castle is fun, Stana's a lovely actress (quite fun doing accents too!) but if you really want to see something amazing, try For Lovers Only. Like Sophia Loren and Audrey Hepburn had a baby...natural light just loves this woman's face. And many other parts of her, too :)

The Captain said...

Regulation ladycop cut or not, Beckett always got to be pretty fun and flirty, which I really appreciated. She hasn't got that "to be one of the boys I have to chug beer and burp testosterone" kind of mindset.

My big suspension of disbelief moment comes every time they show Beckett running anywhere in a bulletproof vest and 3-4 inch heels. Even if the combo is soverysexy.

Anonymous said...

Check this video of sexy and BAMF Becket. You welcome :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GGYNDu_9rA&list=FLycUprIunHWFYsc56fj9aqw&index=42

Unknown said...

Stana is such a GREAT actress...just watch Castle season 3 ;)

Anonymous said...

i agree stana is amazing but i also think the actors nathan and stana have amazing chemistry off stage aswell thats why this show works .