Friday, May 20, 2011

My Weekend Crush

Before “Bridesmaids” opened to stellar box office last weekend, the prevailing critical buzz was a plaintive plea for men to see this movie despite the fact that it starred a bunch of women. It’s not a chick flick! Funny for everyone! Guys will love this! And while those things are all very, very true, it also irks me a little. Because there’s also nothing wrong with saying this either: Ladies, you will love this movie. No, really, you will love this movie. Laugh until the verge of bladder control issues. Bury your head in your friend’s shoulder from disbelief. Even, yes, maybe mist up a little. This movie is what women have been waiting for from comedies. It is the opposite of everything we hate about the movies we’re supposed to like. In place of treacle and triteness, it gives us hilarity and heart.

The industry always frets that “women’s films” don’t make money. But the truth of the matter is bad women’s films don’t make money. And, let’s be perfectly honest, most chick flicks suck. But when instead you give us quality, fleshed-out characters and whip-smart writing, and we will come to the tune of a $26 million opening weekend. And, heavens, I haven’t even started on the performances. Perfect cast is perfect. Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ellie Kemper, Melissa McCarthy. Good God, Melissa McCarthy. You all know I love Kristen to bits and pieces already, but Melissa nearly stole the show from some of the best show stealers in the business. If this cast doesn’t finally and forever put to rest the idiotic “women aren’t funny” bullshit, then nothing ever will.

I think one of the best things about this film, other than the free ab workout from the ugly snort laughing, was leaving the theater made me feel good about being a woman. Too many films make us feel bad about our womanhood. They say only the happily ever after will make us truly happy. But “Bridesmaids” reached for a different kind of aspiration, the sort that says it’s OK to let your freak flag fly. We’re too complex for the stereotypes, too interesting for the Hollywood ending. We women are weird and wonderful creatures, and it’s nice to have a film that celebrates that for a change. Boys, you are more than welcome to come along for the ride. But this movie, this movie is all ours, baby. Happy weekend, all.

12 comments:

Big Shamu said...

OK you've convinced me....I'll go see it.

Kristan said...

Haven't seen it yet, but I definitely want to. And I'm so glad Melissa McCarthy (who I have loved since Gilmore Girls) is getting props for her role!

BUT... my concern (from what I've read) is that it isn't going to be my cup of tea. Someone mentioned that Bridesmaids "reclaims" things that are typically thought of as male humor and makes them work for women. Things like bathroom jokes. Well, I don't think of bathroom jokes as male humor; I think of them as gross. I want true wit, not slapstick and easy laughs. So does Bridesmaids fit that bill? Or is it just the girl version of almost every Will Ferrell movie?

(Note: I'm not trying to pass *judgment* on bathroom humor; I'm just saying it's not for me.)

I think either way the movie is an accomplishment for women in films. And I love that Kristen Wiig loves Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion!

Anonymous said...

By far my favorite post from you in a while, Dorothy. I couldn't agree with you more. <3

Dar said...

Couldn't agree more. Saw it opening night, want to see it again and plan to buy the DVD. Melissa stole the friggin' show but everyone was awesome. Yes there is a 'food poisoning' scene that has a moment of high gross factor, it does not by any means define the film and there are so many scenes that are not only hysterical but in several instances quite poignant that they far overshadow the one gross moment. Believe me, my wife hates gross humor and although she said 'ewww' she still loved the film.
Puppies in pink berets, frozen peas, the butterfly, the airplane scenes, 'I'm fine it's not food poisoning', trying to get the cops attention....OMG I wonder if there's a morning showing nearby. Gotta go!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the posting, always,

I do agree in general but i have

different opinion about the happily

ever after, I think that's good because

it's not true. What I mean in reality

less people are happily ever after.

so why not offer to people

feeling happy about at the moment.

all the dramas, and news already show

all the freaks, weirdos, disasters, heart

breaking, everyday.

nice day anyway~~

Norma Desmond said...

Went to a PGA screening of this, and the producers of the film said that McCarthy never stopped. They shot SO much extra footage because she (and the other ladies) just kept going, and they didn't want to miss anything. Thought that was kinda awesome.

Carmen SanDiego said...

I saw it and I laughed from beginning to end. I wanna go see it again, this time taking my girlfriend with me,

Anonymous said...

Loved it! Saw it opening night. Love Melissa McCarty (the original Sookie) so much. I left the theater telling my girlfriends that I can't wait for the DVD and all the extra scenes, bloopers, everything! I need to see it again for all I missed when laughing so hard I couldn't hear the next line!

Mjfranci said...

I'm going to see it again. Best comedy I've seen in years.

tlsintx said...

Just saw it. It rocks! You will definitely have fun.

Patricia said...

first of all, I´m sorry about not commenting this post, but the Über-female Debbie Harry (Blondie) at your tumblr [I would have posted there.. but couldn´t find a link... :P ]

Anyway... DH can fit any of you categories: SGALGG; Tank Top xday; top singer/actress and, the biggest of all: she supports not only gay rights but any other noble cause.

Just love this lady that ages with pride and "joie de vivre".

Thanks a lot!

dc said...

Never seen a Judd Apatow movie before. Those Hangover fratboy movies do nothing for me.

Bridesmaids though...laughed till I'm snorting and crying and doubled over. Be warned: you may pee in your pants :)

Yes, poop jokes did dominate one scene of the film. You can close your eyes, or like me, laughed despite myself.

Most delightful and gut-busting 2 hours I've had in quite a while!