Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Operation Pity Vote

Whaaaat? No, really, what? I somehow slipped in and was nominated for the Eleventh Annual Weblog Awards, or The Bloggies for short. Now, um, these awards go to, like, actual big-time blogs like Dooce, Boing Boing, PostSecret and Go Fug Yourself. So, yeah, I don’t know what I’m doing there either. But there I am among an amazing group of queer bloggers up for Best LGBT Blog. Crazy, I know. Scanning the list, I am in beyond impressive company:

Yeah, you saw that last one, too? That’s, um, my employer and stuff. So…awkward. No, not awkward, because AfterEllen deserves it and then some. No other lesbian website has been doing it for as long and as comprehensively and as successfully as AfterEllen. And no other website has such an amazing compilation of talented gay lady writers, artists and photographers as AfterEllen – many of whom I call close friends. Frankly, I’m shocked AE hasn’t been nominated before. So does that mean I’m going to graciously step aside and pay rightful deference to AfterEllen, as I should? Hell no. I’m going to be an ungrateful, spoiled child and campaign anyway. Hello, Operation Pity Vote.

Yes, that’s right, I am campaigning solely on pity. Because, when you look at my accomplished competition, there’s really no chance I’ll win. So, therefore, please take pity on me. Though, seriously, it is – as the cliché goes – just an honor to be nominated. I’m fairly certain some sort of clerical error was involved. But I’ll take it. And, as always, I thank you wonderful people for coming around day after day and putting up with the random, sleep-deprived ramblings of a gal and her laptop. You, kittens, are the only award I need.

OK, that’s a lie. I’d like actual awards, too. And prizes. Possibly a pony. But I’m a realist. I mean, where would I even put a pony?

Right, so if you feel so inclined, please pop over and throw a bone to yours truly for Best LGBT Blog. The polls are open until Feb. 20. You can vote once per person/email. And don’t forget to click the link in the verification email afterward or your vote won’t count. Operation Pity Vote is nothing if not a stickler for the rules. You can click here to vote.

p.s. You don’t know how relieved I am that the awards were announced yesterday when I attempted to write a semi-intellectual post instead of my normal semi-literate prattle about tank tops. You’ve got to fool the new visitors somehow.

25 comments:

CAB's Adventures said...

Dorothy Surrenders all the way!

AshleyFryer said...

This is totally deserved - I love Afterellen too but no one makes me laugh like you do! Yours is the only blog I bother to read every day, so keep at it! God bless Tank Top Tuesday <3 (especially if Michelle Rodriguez is featured)...

Congrats Ms Snarker, you have my vote!

mel.p said...

oh, I voted for you, don't worry. You're awesome! Also, I'd like to urge other folks to vote for effing dykes as Weblog of the Year. Why not, eh?

Unknown said...

Don't tell AfterEllen, but I voted for you.
Don't. Ever. Stop. Writing.
(please)

mrsexsmith said...

Congrats Snarker! That's some great company. You deserve it, this entertaining home of yours is thoughtful and smart, and I have to admit I am 10x more educated about pop culture than I was before I was reading your site. Thanks for that. You make it relevant and interesting in ways that I usually don't find.

(Though for an LGBT category, it's 4 L's and 1 G nominated, not exactly representing. But that's their fault, not yours of course. Just observing.)

Congrats & good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'll vote for you for sure. I like your one post a day so it's easy to keep up, and I like the pop culture tie in. I found Lip Service because of you. My life would not have been complete without Heather Peace! Detective Sargent Sam Murray - whew, be still my beating heart! Keep up the good work, Ms. Snarker.

Big Shamu said...

I'm voting for your blog for the following reasons:
1) You're funny
2) You're really funny
3) Tank Tops
4) You're really fucking funny
5) They won't help me with my password/sign in issues at AfterEllen.

VIVA LA Dorothy!

Too Much Music said...

Congrats! But I'm not really that surprised. This is the very first blog I read every morning. It's a great way to start the day!

Emily said...

I love AfterEllen like nobody's business... But I only found it through I link on your blog. And you're hilarious. And I agree with the vast majority of what you have to say. So yeah, this is a tough battle. I adore Heather Hogan's recaps, but I also adore SGALGG and Tank Top Tuesdays and everything about this blog. Best of luck to you! :)

Steph Mineart said...

I too love AfterEllen, but you make me LOL. I'm not allowed to throw my cat at you (sez the wife, anyway) so you, know, I'll vote for you and stuff. :)

Maria said...

I'll vote for you, no doubt, but I kind of wish there was some Autostraddle too, you know?

Hanna said...

Voted for you! Sure thing.
I love afterellen and that's how I found you. I probably would have voted for afterellen ALL the three big shots were still writing there, i.e. Sarah, Scribe and Ms Snarker. Now the best articles there are yours. (Well I also love the lady-manners-thing.) So I might as well put my vote in the right place. Sorry for being so brutally honest, I am European.

Anonymous said...

Snarker, you make my day every day, so you have my vote 100%. You're a smartass and that puts you over the top of anyone, anywhere, anytime. There's a special place in heaven for folks like you. Besides, and not to dis too hard on the Mothership, but your blog is more substance than just a bunch of tired recaps about so-so TV shows.

Pity, my ass!! You get my vote on merit!! Snark on, My Lady, snark on!!

Panty Buns said...

I just finished voting for you. I was tempted to leave a comment. Many of my favorite blog categories, bloggers, blogs weren't included in the nominations in other categories and categories weren't there but I wound up not saying anything. I recently did a post about some of them anyway. Congratulations for being nominated! I hope you win!

Anonymous said...

Right on! Congrats for the nomination!

Anonymous said...

Oh nooooooes, why do you have to be up against Krista? It's like your parents sitting you down when you're five, and being all "We're getting divorced, so who do you want to live with?"

Dorothy, I'm living with you.

lcn said...

So do I get an "I voted" sticker or something?

:)

Love you, DS. I start my day with coffee, you and Paul Krugman. Yeah, in that order. I normally don't post, but I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for what you do.

Anonymous said...

I'm not one to post normally, but I wanted to add my congratulations for being nominated. I voted for you and I hope you win! It's well-deserved. Your blog is entertaining, witty, smart with the right amount of smart-ass, and just plain great. AE is ok, but you make me smile and laugh, and you have tank tops!

Maggie said...

Ah, Ms. Snarker, I am faithful to two things in my life: my beloved partner, Anne, and to you, beloved blogger! My vote will always be for you!

Polly said...

Ms Snarker, rare indeed is the delicious cocktail of intellect and pop culture peccadillo that you serve up here so reliably, day after day, week after week.

I'm with Mr Sexsmith (I'm ever so much more the educated, thanks to you) and with Big Shamu (you are funny, funny, and funny). And with Anonymous: pity, my ass! (Really I should be saying: Pity my ass!)

You are much beloved, and deservedly so. I'd lie if I said I voted for you, but I swear if I didn't have to vote for myself, I'd-a voted for you, babe. The internet thanks you. And I thank the internet for having the perspicacity to know a class act when it sees one.

Jane said...

one more vote, from brazil ;)

sugababe said...

You are expecting people to vote for you and your pathetic comments such as "Obama, leader of the free world"??? "Leader of the free world"? Get a grip.

Cherilla said...

Ms. Snarker,

Your blog has such wit, delight and heart infused into each posting.. and it all comes from little ol' you. (as opposed to a whole building full of ladies...)

Each reader lucky enough to find your blog discovers in you a beacon of sexy strength, gorgeous hilariity and glowing truth.

Hell Yes I'll vote for you!
GO DOROTHY!!!!!

Maria said...

Congratulations, Ms. Snarker! This is very well deserved.

Big Shamu said...

Is this a one vote only deal? I just want to be clear that it's not a one vote a day deal but one vote per email. It's not exactly clear on the website.