Friday, February 25, 2011

My Weekend Crush

I didn’t start watching “Pretty Little Liars” until this season. I’d shied away because a) it’s on ABC Family and b) it’s about teens and c) I am an adult and already watch way too many shows about teens. But its lesbian storyline and the consistent insistence by friends that it was great, goofy fun convinced me to give it a try. And it is fun, like a live-action episode of Scooby Doo each week without the stoner comedy. I can’t say I’m an ardent devotee. I mean I watch it weekly, but sometimes I wonder if I wouldn’t have just as much fun watching a rerun of Scooby and the gang zoinks it up on some haunted island. Also, the Aria-Ezra/student-teacher thing kind of weirds me out. There, I said it. Go ahead and call me a prude on this one.

But, then I get my own May-December (OK, not really December, more like May-July to Augustish) feelings about Shay Mitchell. That girl is ridiculously pretty. Like not normal, possibly from another planet, definitely not like anyone I went to high school with pretty. Wow, is she pretty. And I know she is 23, which is perfectly legal and not entirely out of the sphere of age appropriateness for me (and probably smack dab in many of your wheelhouses), but whenever I look at her I feel like a skeazy mouth-breathing old lady. I think it’s her skin, that delicious, delicious olive. And her hair, that shiny, shiny black. Also, she kisses girls on the show. I can’t help myself. She makes me think very good, very bad things. I should probably just watch more grown-up shows so I don’t have keep having these fictional moral conundrums with tiny Chris Hansens on my shoulder. So to summarize, “Pretty Little Liars” is pretty fun, Shay Mitchell is insanely pretty and it all makes me feel pretty pervy. But, mostly, in a good way. Happy weekend, all.

16 comments:

jetgirl said...

Gurl, it's about time you show some Shay Mitchell love. You don't have to be a huge fan of the show to appreciate her stunning...ness. She is so damn gorgeous and Asian and plays a lesbian (I think her character referred to herself as gay about 10 times already) - what took you so long? It's ok, I still love ya. Sorry about all the gushing :P

PS. I too feel like I shouldn't be watching teen shows but I am consoled by the fact that these actors are in their mid-twenties. I tell myself that a lot lol.

pmcdee1 said...

I'm so with you! I heard so much about it that I finally had to start watching. So, I purchased Season 1 and, needless to say, I'm now hooked! Shay Mitchell is amazing on the show, and, from reading her interview in Curve, she seems like a wonderful person!

Sadly for me, I'm old enough to be her Mom although I'm not blind, LOL! I also find it enjoyable that the parents on the show are the people I grew up with and who were on great shows like Picket Fences, Life Goes On, Fame, and the always campy but fun Melrose Place. Yep! I had a crush on Nia Peeples back in her Fame days! So there's something for everyone in this show!

I also think they're doing a great job at handling the gay storyline. So, here's to its continued success. I know I'll be watching. :-)

Anonymous said...

30 Rock! Your reaction? It felt like a nod to your site to me ...

p.s. Love your site - thank you!

maddyzero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
maddyzero said...

Oh, do I ever hear you on this one Ms. Snarker. If I had to describe my ideal type, both in physical appearance and personality, Shay Mitchell would be the golden definition.

Although she's good and legal, the fact that she plays a deliciously gorgeous high school student makes me feel similarly like a wheezing perv.

I don't care, though. I just remember to check myself and wipe the gleam of drool from the corners of my mouth when the show's over.

Emily said...

Best. Weekend. Crush. Ever. <3

Shay Mitchell/Emily Fields is my "type" personified. Emily is the closest thing to perfect on TV right now. Every week, I have a hard time finding anything that's wrong with her. Plus I'm a college freshman so I don't feel like a perv, and in real life she's only 5 years older than me. :)

Anonymous said...

um...

so it's teens story,

if I have chance I will try to see

the drama. I'm not teen, neither,

so you're not alone!

thanks~

Anonymous said...

http://spencergayblog.tumblr.com/

...WELP

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first anonymous commenter-- I thought 30 Rock was totally a nod to you!! Tina Fey was telling you that you are her Fake Blogger Wife. I'm just so happy for the two of you :-)

Also, I love your blog. Thanks!!

JadedRogue said...

I write young adult fiction, and I love PLL. Its much better than the books, which is odd. Shay has brought layers to a character that might not have had so many had the casting not been so spot on. She has shied away from nothing given to her, it might also have helped that she was paired with a much older actress (AKA Maia).

As a bisexual who never "Came out", I just slept around, I love the subtle way that her storyline was woven into the show. A forced her to be who she truly was, and as evil as A is, I thank her for it. Also, thank you, ABCFamily for having the BALLS to do this show and let the writers, producers, actors do their jobs and not get messed up in it. (Note to all FOX shows!)

Anonymous said...

Shay Mitchell is divine.

Rizz Rustbolt said...

I keep expecting her antennae to pop out at some inopportune moment.

Anonymous said...

"insanely pretty" is right. Let the ShayLove shine on!

Sabsl Photography said...

Love her acting too, on this show. lets hope we'll see so much more from her in future =)

and well Mr. Snarker... I don't have the age issiu, I'm the same age as her :P

hm... but well, I also loves Merryl Streep... Does that make me a pervert in any way? ~.O

Anonymous said...

I'm just catching up on 30 Rock and my immediate reaction was the same as the other Anonymouses - in fact, I came here specifically to comment about it and saw the other comments already here!

Maria said...

I have too freaking much on my plate. I CANNOT add Liars to it.

I am already addicted to IDOL and that takes up so much time that my wife is threatening an intervention. And I didn't watch until last year when Lee DeWyze grabbed me by the neck and MADE me watch. Now, if he makes a guest appearance, I will probably start crying like a fan girl.

I am in crazy crush land with that actress on Fringe. I also like watching Hawaii Five O so that I can ogle the Asian actress.

I CANNOT watch Liars too.

What time is it on???