Friday, November 26, 2010

My Weekend Crush

I can say when I’m wrong. I’m a big girl. I make mistakes. I misjudge. I prejudge. I can have judgey issues. But when I’m wrong, I’m wrong and I’ll happily call myself on it. And I was wrong about Jessica Capshaw on “Grey’s Anatomy.” Not that I was against her as a person, per se, but I was against the idea of her as a replacement for the dearly departed into The Parking Lot of No Return Brooke Smith. That sort of inconsistent, out-of-nowhere narrative always drives me nuts. At the time it felt like the all-too familiar upgrade to a younger, hotter model. But time has a way of doing its thing with wounds. And Jessica, well, she has been impossible to dislike on “Grey’s.”

I still don’t really watch “Grey’s.” I’ve cut medical dramas (yes, you too, “House) out of my repertoire this year and so I only keep track in occasional late-night YouTube Calzona binges. But I know that they’re good together, and I know that’s a credit to Jessica. What came across as youthful eagerness in her role as poor T&A Nadia on “The L Word” has evolved into mature confidence as Arizona on “Grey’s.” Her Arizona is tough yet tender, secure yet sexy. While I normally loathe to use the word perky, she is a charming perky. She and Callie fit, they make sense (unlike their crazy airport breakup, but that’s a whole other story). So whenever that big smile breaks out over Jessica’s heart-shaped face, well, I’ve never felt better about being wrong about something in my life. She is a good man in a storm, that one. Happy weekend, all.

13 comments:

MJ said...

Great Jessica Capshaw's photo! It makes me smile as well. (Hope she'll be back on the show, since GA is not the same without her and her smile.)

Norma Desmond said...

I am in the exact same boat as you in regards to Ms. Capshaw. I made the same judgey assumptions. And I tried hard for a LONG time to dislike her. But damn her and her infectious smile... I could not resist. I am weak.

Anonymous said...

her "love" scene with Jennifer Beals aka bette porter was much better than anything on boring GA

Luísa said...

Agreed. I wasn't a big fan of her, although I did like her on Bones. And when she went to Grey's I wasn't that enthusiastic about her. Well, the show hadn't been doing it for me for a few years either. Also hated the whole Erica MIA situation, so I didn't even stay around to watch it. But when I did I was pleasantly surprised. More than that actually. I developed a major crush on Arizona. And now I'm a big fan of Ms Capshaw. I think she did a wonderful job and she's LOVELY!

URBAN Sapphic said...

One other thing Capshaw is: "Gone"

In case you haven't noticed. So why write now about your mistake?

Have some content in your character and stand by your words.

Sonja said...

I'm glad you've come around to liking Jessica Capshaw. I pretty much liked her right from the bathroom kiss with Callie. What can I say? I'm pretty easy.

And URBAN Sapphic, I'm pretty sure she's coming back, and soon. She's out on maternity leave, but she'll be back this season. Or so say the TWOP people.

Why am I suffocating? said...

I have no idea about these shows but I loved her car scene with the "do no wrong" Bette Porter.

Making Space said...

If this is Kate Capshaw's daughter then I feel soooo old...

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is YUM!

Anonymous said...

the picture looks very bright,
makes me squint.

I don't think you're big girl,
your mind is huge sometimes,

thanks for the posting,
I guess you're busy cus it's holiday,
everybody is busy, in my past experiences
for cook, people, so on.

Kathryn said...

Sigh--nice one. I love that phrase "a good man in a storm."

BB said...

I stopped watching Grey's Anatomy years ago. When Addison left Seattle Grace, I did too.

Jessica Capshaw singlehandedly lured me back into the GA net. I think she's doing a great job and I love the character of Arizona, both with Callie and on her own.

And yes, she will be back. Jessica just needed some time off because she just gave birth. The source? Shonda herself.

Morcegos no Sótão said...

I LOVE Jessica Capshaw (and Arizona!). She and Sasha Alexander (of Rizzoli&Isles) are pretty much my perfect women, looks-wise.

MJNuts